Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks--Week 45: Beards

I am working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I’m looking forward to writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

I wrote previously about my grandfather, Tom Johnston's beard in this blog post. For this week, I'll present my great-great-grandfather, John Gleeson's beard.

John Gleeson was born about 1835 probably in Ottawa, Canada. He married Margaret Tierney around 1858 in Carleton County, Ontario. They had ten children. In 1879, they moved to Dakota Territory to what is now Mitchell, South Dakota. Sometime after 1900, they moved to Portland, Oregon where he died in 1915.

John with 2 children c. 1860s

John, taken in Mitchell, South Dakota


John wore his beard all through his life.


Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You are so lucky to have these excellent photos. The 1910 "three generation" photo is particularly wonderful because of the identification!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.