Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of November 19-25, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Family Research. This week, I’ve been working on my Coor family, especially James Madison Coor, my 3X-great-grandfather. I have been checking the digital images I have in my folders against what events I have recorded in my genealogy program, RootsMagic. Sometimes, something gets missed. Also looking at the RootsMagic events, I could see possible missing events, so I then would go on Ancestry or FamilySearch to see if I could find them, such as a census, marriage, or cemetery record. I started with trying to figure out when James M. Coor left Mississippi and went to Texas. He owned land, so I focused on finding the land that was sold so he could move. I also discovered many other land transactions for him and others in his family. Lots more to do!

Blog Writing: I wrote two blog posts these two past weeks:
Week 47: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about what genealogical source we’re thankful for. I wrote about digital images found all over the internet. I worked on land records in Copiah County, Mississippi and used some examples in the post..

Cert Support Group: We didn’t meet this week due to the Thanksgiving weekend. However, Dennis and I emailed our case study and KDP to the others to read. I enjoyed reading Dennis’ with his use of DNA. I need to get some DNA learning in and start using it more.

Webinars: I attended several webinars this week:
  • BCG’s “Every Day Life of Our Ancestors,” by C. Ann Staley. She had so many great examples of places to learn about the lives of our ancestors. She had a four-page handout with loads of links.
  •  APG’s “Accounting Tips, Tricks and Hacks: What the Solo Genealogy Pro Needs to Know,” by Jim Beidler. Lots of great tips on running a business.
  • APG’s Writers SIG “Writing for the Record,” by Laura Murphy DeGrazia, who spoke about the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society’s journal called the Record. Her presentation was excellent and I wish I had New York ancestors.

 The NGS Quarterly study group met this week and we discussed Judy G. Russell’s article “George Washington Cottrell of Texas: One Man or Two?” We had a great discussion. 

Other Activities
This was a short week due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I spent time at the History Center on Tuesday, working on entering records from our Finding Aid in the Online Archive of California. I have entered twenty records so far.

It finally rained this week. The air is clearer and the fire up in Butte County is almost out. More rain to come this week. I threw out wildflower seed into the garden and hope some will grow for beautiful blooms in the spring.


Daughter, Elizabeth, came for Thanksgiving dinner. We ate a simple meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetable, and stuffing. Afterwards we played Yamslam! Saturday, we went up to Norman’s brother’s house for another Thanksgiving dinner. It was nice seeing our niece, Maddy, home from college.








Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments