Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 8: Family Photo

This is my second year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

I have shared many family photos on my blogs, so trying to find one that has not been shared before was tough.

Nils Malkom Nilsen was my husband’s great-grandfather. He emigrated to America in 1889.[1] He married his first wife, Ida Christina Svensson in 1890,[2] but she and her young son passed away in 1891.[3]

He returned to Sweden and returned to America with Hulda Charlotte Anderson-Carlson, to whom he married in Youngstown, Ohio, on 20 May 1893.[4] They had six children: Nils Arthur Nathaniel, Carl David Harry, Joseph Andrew Walter, Ernest Gedion Ferdinand, Berger Malcolm Sylvania, and Esther Hulda Victoria.

This photo was probably taken in Hilmar, California, where Nils Malkom was pastor of the Swedish Covenant Church. Perhaps the photo was taken around 1910.



The next photo was probably taken 5-8 years later. Everyone except Art and David are in the same position.





[1] "Swedish Emigration Records 1783-1951," database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com), Nils M Nilsén, 15 Mar 1889; citing Emigranten Populär (EmiHamn 38:224:9747).
[2] Nilsen Family Bible (photocopy), Nils Malkom Nilsen to Ida Christina Svensson 1890.
[3] "Death of Mrs. N.M. Nelson," Youngstown (Ohio) Vindicator, 29 Jun 1891, p. front page, col. 2. For the son’s death, see Nilsen Family Bible (photocopy), Nils Anders Nathanael Nilsen death, 1891.
[4] Mahoning Co, Ohio Marriage Records, Nils Malkom Nilsen & Hulda C. Carlson, Vol 7, pg 563, FHL, Film 0906676.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments