Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of April 22-May 12, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Travels
I spent two weeks in New York City visiting my daughter, Margaret. We attended her play, “Meg Jo Beth Amy & Louisa” twice, as well as seeing the Broadway play “Come From Away.” Historical sights we visited were Dyckman House; the old Custom House which now houses the Smithsonian Native American Museum, as well as the New York National Archives; Fraunces Tavern where George Washington gave his farewell to the troops; the old Cunard Building where passenger ships docked back in the day; and rode a train up to Poughkeepsie to visit the Roosevelt home at Hyde Park.

I also got in some bird watching on three separate days. First at Central Park with an Audubon guide. Saw a blue-winged warbler, which was a first, and again on my own, where I saw a red-bellied woodpecker. I was looking for the indigo bunting but didn’t see it. Lastly, I rode the train to New Jersey, and was met by Judy Russell. She took me to two sites where we at last spotted a palm warbler. My photos of the birds were so-so, I think because of the wind, it was difficult to focus the camera.

Genealogy
Blog Writing: During the two weeks I did post the two posts for 52 Ancestors:
  • For week 17, I wrote about my family and their First Communion.
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks For week 18, was “road trip” and I wrote about Amos Gorrell’s move from Ohio to Missouri.
Webinars/Study Groups Attended:
  • This past week was the National Genealogical Society’s conference and I viewed the five presentations that were livestreamed on Friday, which were the BCG presentations. I really enjoyed both Elizabeth Shown Mills’ and Rebecca Whitman Koford’s presentations. I plan to watch them again.


Volunteer Work:
  • I worked the desk at the California Genealogical Society and had some customers that I helped.


Own Work: I did not do any genealogical research or writing during my trip or the week following. 
  • I am working on a column for the California Genealogical Society’s Nugget
  • I am working on a proposal to teach genealogy at the Acalanes Adult School. 
  • Spoke with Kim during the Cert discussion group on Thursday evening and we spoke about client work.

Other Activities:
  • Got a tour of the new remodeled LDS temple in Oakland on Wednesday. The director of the Family Search Center gave the tour.
  • Had a German class dinner at a new restaurant in Oakland. It was nice, but no German-speaking waiters. Still we did manage to speak some German.
  • Attended two San Francisco Giants vs. the Cincinnati Reds baseball games with my friend, Beth. They split the two games that I saw.




Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments