Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of May 13-19, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

 Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
  • I participated in two certification study groups. Thursday night, we spoke about a variety of subjects and will continue to talk about transcriptions. On Friday, we spoke about Chapter 7 in the new Professional Genealogy book on Copyright & Fair Use, with Josh moderating.  
  • I also participated in DearMYRTLE’s AmericanGen Study Group as the moderator. We talked about church records this week.
  • APG Writers SIG meeting with Diane L. Richards speaking about writing for the North Carolina quarterly.
  • A Southern California Genealogical Society webinar given by Annette Burke Lyttle on the Erie Canal and moving out West.

Volunteer Work:
  • I worked the desk at the California Genealogical Society’s Library and had one customer that I helped, who was working on documentation for Italian citizenship. I also worked at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s History Center for a half day. The other half involved the Board of Directors meeting for strategic planning. Our regular board meeting was also this week, held at the newly remodeled Port Costa school.


Own Work:
  •  I began some writing about my parents for my current project. I have some saved documents concerning the schooling of my mother. Some of these documents gave their address, which was a bonus, helping create a timeline for her parents. My father's family didn't save any of his school days papers. I only have a few yearbooks that I found at the Napa Genealogical Society.
  • Did some clean up in my RootsMagic database, based on a report of errors.



Other Activities:
  • The Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society had a weekend show and I ran trains most of Saturday and Sunday. We had a good turnout probably due to the wet weekend.
  • Did the phenology study at the Strentzel Meadow with Shirley. It was wet from the rain and the grass was laying down, so no bugs!
  • Worked a little on processing the photos taken on our New York City trip. It's a long process and the next step is to work on the Shutterfly book of the trip.


One of the photos processed--
me in Prospect Park, Brooklyn.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments