Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Thanksgiving - Genealogy Edition


Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has our assignment for this week:

Here is your assignment, should you decide to accept it (you ARE reading this, so I assume that you really want to play along - cue the Mission Impossible music!):

1)  Think about the answers to these questions about your thankfulness for genealogy:
a.  Which ancestor are you most thankful for, and why?
 b.  Which author (book, periodical, website, etc.) are you most thankful for, and why?
 c.  Which historical record set (paper or website) are you most thankful for, and why?
2)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own; in a comment to this blog post; or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a link in Comments to your own blog post or Facebook post.

Here are my answers:

a.  The ancestors I am most thankful for are my maternal grandmother, Pansy (Lancaster) Johnston (1913-2013) and my paternal aunts, Virginia (Hork) Gertridge (1925-2016) and June (Hork) Stewart (1926-2017).  All three encouraged me in my quest for the stories of our ancestors and enjoyed hearing about my finds. I wished I had started sooner and could have involved my paternal grandmother as well.[1]

June, me, Virginia (2013)

Me with Mam-ma, 2011

b.  I am most thankful for FamilySearch.org for all of the digital images made from their microfilm and later their digital cameras of records found from around the world. I am thankful for their Wiki, their videos and training, and the ability to do indexing. All of this free of charge. I am also thankful for their library in Salt Lake City, open to anyone who has the want to find the stories and records of their families.

c. I am thankful for the most useful website for U.S. research: the U.S. Federal Census. We are so fortunate in our country to have this record set, that it was saved, probably not for the purpose we use it for, but nevertheless, we have this wonderful resource that helps us find country-wide, our ancestors and their families. Many of us use Ancestry.com for the census, but it is also available free of charge at FamilySearch and Internet Archive.

How would you answer these questions?



[1] I couldn’t decide which was the best—they all helped me equally.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your family photos are beautiful. All you ladies look quite sharp. :) I also chose relatives whose lives overlapped into mine and FamilySearch for a and b. Happy Thanksgiving, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. It seems that we all agree that FamilySearch is something to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.