Skip to main content

1950 Census Prep for Norman’s Maternal Relatives

I have begun locating the Enumeration Districts (EDs) for our relatives who were living in 1950. Lisa’s paternal relatives can be found here. Her maternal relatives here.

In order to locate the EDs, I need to know the address of each person. I begin by checking my genealogy database for a clue to their address and if I don’t have one near the 1950 time-frame, seek out a source on Ancestry or FamilySearch, using such sources as city directories, voter registrations, newspaper articles, and other records that give addresses.

These are the relatives I expect to find on my husband Norman’s maternal side of the family.

Nilsen Family
Arthur N. Nilsen is Norman’s maternal grandfather. I know he and his wife, Lena, were living at 2114 X Street in Sacramento around 1947 from a city directory. When he died in 1954, he was living in Rio Linda on their chicken ranch. But when did they move there? Rio Linda is a small town in the county of Sacramento and there are no Sacramento County directories available at Ancestry for this time period. This census might help in determining when they moved to Rio Linda. Rio Linda is divided into two EDs, but the area above the McClellan AFB where I think the farm was located is ED 34-9. The farm is marked on this map.

If they were still living in Sacramento at 2114 X Street, the ED number is 70-132.

Arthur's son, Raymond P & wife, Viola L Nilsen were living at 2420 W street, Sacramento in 1949 and 2114 X street in 1951. For the address on W street, the ED is 70-133. For the address on X street, the ED number is 70-132. Below are the two locations.

His daughter, Thelma M. Nilsen (Norman's mother) was living at 2114 X street, Sacramento in 1949 but is not mentioned in the 1951 directory. She may have been on the chicken ranch with her father. So I would check both 34-7 and 70-132.

The other children of Arthur I would like to find but I have no address are: Arnold N. Nilsen and his wife Anne, Leonard M. Nilsen and his wife Evelyn, Ernest R Nilsen and wife Barbara, who might be living in Hilmar or Turlock, Edna L and husband, Elton Averitt, who might be living in Sacramento or Medford or somewhere else, and Bernice Nilsen, who was probably living with her father on the chicken ranch. I will have to wait until the index is completed to locate them.

Arthur’s siblings were all living except his brother, Berger.
David Harry Nilsen lived somewhere in Los Angeles. 
Joseph W Nilsen & wife Ebba lived in Medford with a route & box address.
Ernest Nilsen & wife, Mary lived at 1101 Montecito Dr in Alhambra, California. I did not find this address in the Census ED Finder. When searching in Google, the address came up in San Gabriel. The ED is 19-1646.
Esther & Basil Frix lived at the rear 548 Benton in Santa Clara, California. The ED is 43-159.

Lundquist Family
Thelma had cousins from her mother’s Lundquist line who were living in Hilmar, California. The ED is 24-46 or 24-25. In this time period, their addresses were route and box numbers, so I am not sure of the locations.

John E. & Signe Lundquist, lived on August Avenue. It is likely that his son, Kenneth will be living with them. John’s brother, David Lundquist, lived down the street on August Avenue.

Thelma had first cousins once removed living in Iowa. Ida Wilhelmina and Carl Oscar Anderson lived in Stanton, Montgomery County in Iowa. Perhaps Nellie O. Lundquist did, too. As well as Edna Sophia and Carl Arnold Quist. The EDs for Stanton are 69-4 & 69-5 and the surrounding area of Scott township is 69-25.

Henry L and wife Anna D Lundquist were living at 3324 Hamilton in Omaha, Nebraska. The ED is 95-261.

Below, I have made a chart for easy searching once April 1 has arrived. (I think I'll update the previous posts with a chart similar to this).

Name

Location

ED No.

Street address

Found

Notes

Arthur & Lena Nilsen

California, Rio Linda

34-9

chicken ranch

 

 

Thelma Nilsen

California, Rio Linda

34-9

chicken ranch

 

 

Bernice Nilsen

California, Rio Linda

34-9

chicken ranch

 

 

Ray & Viola Lorraine Nilsen

California, Sacramento

70-132

2114 X Street

 

 

Ray & Viola Lorraine Nilsen

California, Sacramento

70-133

2420 W Street

 

 

Thelma Nilsen

California, Sacramento

70-132

2114 X Street

 

 

Ernest & Mary Nilsen

California, San Gabriel

19-1646

1101 Montecito Dr

 

 

Esther & Basil Frix

California, Santa Clara

43-159

548 Benton

 

 

John E & Signe Lundquist

California, Hilmar

24-46, 24-25

August Ave

 

 

David Lundquist

California, Hilmar

24-46, 24-25

August Ave

 

 

Ida W & Carl O Anderson

Iowa, Stanton

69-4, 69-5, 69-25

likely on a farm

 

 

Nellie O Lundquist

Iowa, Stanton

69-4, 69-5

likely in town

 

 

Edna S & Carl A Quist

Iowa, Stanton

69-4, 69-5, 69-25

likely on a farm

 

 

Henry L & Anna D Lundquist

Nebraska, Omaha

95-261

3324 Hamilton

 

 

I have a pretty good start on working my way through the 1950 census for my husband's maternal side of the family. Next I'll work on his paternal side.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You are really organized for a head start with the 1950 US Census! May I suggest you sort the ED column numerically? That way you'll see adjacent EDs, if there are any, and search more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all of my family in one spreadsheet and I plan to then sort them all, once I finish the last set, my husband's father's side of the family.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.