Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 31–February 6, 2022

I have completed ninety-nine (99) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I went out to the History Center twice, to the meadow for phenology where it was again icy, train club to do some maintenance, and the library to pick up and drop off books. I did take two long walks outdoors.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Branching Out – Watershed Mention in Deeds Can Help Place Property For this week’s 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks post, I wrote about how I tried to locate maps that would place the names of creeks, swamps, and branches mentioned in deeds.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Pick a Day in the Life of an Ancestor Our assignment was to pick an ancestor and a particular day in their life. I chose Jan 2, 1920, as it is the date of the 1920 census and chose my grandmother’s sister, Helena “Nellie” Sullivan Goe. Using the census, directories, and newspapers, I was able to write about Aunt Nellie.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
I met with Jacqueline on Monday and we talked about future webinars for CGS. I met with my AppGen partners and planned a bit for our fall program. The CDG meeting had a discussion about BCG renewal requirements. Our peer group met and we discussed the first two chapters of Research Like a Pro. Book club met to discuss chapter 5 in the KKK book we’re reading.

Client Work/Presentations: I taught the third intermediate class at the adult school, this one about using Library of Congress, National Archives, and Cyndi’s List websites. I continued working on my Foundations course and have tentatively finished the syllabus, the in-class activities, and homework for the upcoming AppGen term. Tentatively, because I need to reduce the PowerPoint presentations from 90 minutes to 40 minutes.

Volunteer Work: I went to the History Center and worked on queries, met our new director, and discussed what to do with the items in the Supervisor Nancy Fayden collection. On Saturday, I stopped by to discuss with Maxine on what to do with the voter registration books, and we discussed a couple other items that need completing. I hosted the CGS intro class on Saturday.  

Own Work: Besides the writing that I did for the two blog posts, I started working in the newest version of RootsMagic. It is always frustrating learning a new version of a program. I do not like the program as it is completely different from version 7 and I have been very comfortable using it. However, I joined the CGS RootsMagic SIG and agreed to begin using version 8 full-time. I’m sure once I use it for several weeks, it will become more comfortable.

Webinars Viewed:
Journey to the West of the West: Sutro Library's Genealogy Collection by Dvorah Lewis

Other: I attended the weekend event for the Layout Design/Operations SIG meet. Saturday was all virtual on Zoom. There were discussions with layout owners about their operations. On Sunday, there was an in-person part and a virtual portion. They did a great job of integrating the two parts. We viewed more layouts, layout ideas, and panel discussions. It was my first SIG meet and if they continue with the virtual part, I’m likely to attend again.

 I am reading:

  • The Crowded Grave by Martin Walker—FINISHED
  • Stuck by Jennifer Swender--FINSIHED
  • Gospel According to the Klan by Kelly J. Baker
  • Genealogical Evidence by Noel C. Stevenson
  • The Chosen Exile by Allyson Hobbs
  • Fast Pitch by Nic Stone

Photos for this week:




 

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Thank you for my Monday morning smile. Only 6 weeks until spring, but these are already beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although our mornings have been frosty, the afternoons have warmed up. Will be warmer this week, they say. The fruit trees are starting to blossom.

      Delete
  2. What a crazy week for you. Yellow roses are one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.