Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Sep 11–17, 2023

I have completed one hundred eighty-four (184) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Besides phenology, I went to the history center, got a haircut, and operated trains at Train club.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
There were several meetings this week: 

  • Kinseekers Military SIG, where KB showed how to use the catalog and the History Hub on the NARA website. We saw some cool photos another member got from the National Archives of her father while he was in Vietnam.
  • Stewart and I met during Amigos and discussed his autobiography and our plans for the upcoming retreat.
  • I hosted the CGS Roundtable discussion groups by myself this month. Seven attended and there were lively discussions about everyone’s research.

Genealogy Writing
I continued working on my renewal, writing a research report. As of Sunday evening, I had seventeen pages written, not counting any images except a map and a tombstone. It’s coming along well.

Blog Posts:

James Sullivan: Enjoying the Prosperity He Deserves. For Week 37, I wrote about a brother of my great-grandfather, John H. Sullivan. An article spoke of James’ farm and how he was one of many Irish from Michigan who found success as farmers in Nebraska. After telling his story, I made a list of future research I should do to add to his story. Linda Stufflebean highlighted it in her Friday Family History Finds.

SNGF: Analyze Your 3rd Great-Grandparents Ancestry DNA ThruLines. I had never looked at the ThruLines, so this was a great opportunity. I chose my grandmother’s maternal line and after turning in my portfolio, I may try to write up the DNA proof of one of her lines.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
My day at the History Center this week was spent mostly on accessioning donated material and entering the information into PastPerfect. Tara and I discussed how to upload the special collections from PastPerfect to our website. I also scanned clippings of articles about trails in the county for a research request. A very busy day!

The Sonoma County Genealogical Society Board of Directors met. We still need a President and Vice President for Programs. I hosted the member meeting on Saturday and before Jeff gave his presentation, he put in a plug for members to volunteer to be on the board.

My writing workshop group met this week and we discussed Margaret’s book about her grandmother. It is almost finished and we had some good suggestions of format and content.

Webinars Viewed:

  • So, You Think You Know All About City Directories? by Paula Stuart Warren (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
Our hike this week was Huckleberry Preserve (EBRPD) and we accessed the trails from the Canyon side. It was nice a cool and the huckleberries were ripe. We celebrated Karen’s birthday with baked treats.

The Mt. Diablo Audubon’s bird trip this week was at Mt. Wanda in the John Muir NHP and was led by former ranger, Cheryl. This was really a hike as Mt Wanda is steep in places. The highlight was seeing a great-horned owl.

I am reading:

  • Good Night Irene by Luis Alberto Urrea

Photos for this week.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments