Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Mar 25–31, 2024

I have completed two hundred and twelve (212) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. This week besides the History Center, I ran trains at the train club show and attended the last pre-season game at the Giants. Amazing, we traveled on BART and Muni and neither of us thought to bring masks. We escaped getting COVID-19.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Monday, Jacqueline and I discussed our upcoming Texas trip. I showed her how I made a list from RootsMagic of people who had events in the Texas counties we might visit. She then tried to do the same in Family Tree Maker and had trouble. Amigos met on Wednesday and we talked on doing research for others. The RootsMagic SIG met also and the discussion centered around different fact events available as well as how to create one.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
This week I worked on recording newspaper articles about NHO Polly, who was a traveling minister in Texas. I found a mention of a Texas bill that was introduced in the Senate for “the relief of NHO Polly by reimbursing him for losses sustained by reason of Indian depredations in the years 1858, 1859, and 1860.”[1] I found that it went to committee and died there. I have written to the state library to see if these old bills have been saved. I’m hoping there is more to the bill than this sentence. I have been entering the newspaper articles and deeds I have found into RootsMagic.

I am also planning my trip to Texas. I hope to visit the Dallas Public Library genealogy section and the county recorder’s office for deed and court research. We’ll drive over to Stephenville in Erath County and spend at least two days there for deed and court research, research at the Dick Smith Library at Tarleton State University, research at Dublin Library where the genealogy library is, and perhaps visit the historical museum. I am in contact with two women who do research there and they have been giving me good pointers. We plan to also visit Comanche, Fannin, Montague, and Rockwall counties, and hope to have time for Pontotoc County in Oklahoma.

Blog Post Published:

Catholic Church Records in Joliet Pointed to Place of Origin in Germany. For 52 Ancestors, I wrote about how I wrote to the church in Joliet and received the marriage record that lists the bride and groom’s names as well as their parents’ names and birth locations in Germany. The records of the Diocese of Joliet are now online at Ancestry.

SNGF: Genealogy Fools Day is on Monday We were to write about foolish things we had done during our genealogy research. I am fortunate that I don’t remember many.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I only worked a half day at the History Center and answered a query about a divorce record from the 1860s. On Monday, AppGen founders had a meeting and we discussed the fall proposals. We scheduled interviews with each candidate and I participated in three of them on Thursday. These three classes look promising.

Webinars/Courses Viewed: I attended only three this week, a seminar with Cyndi Ingle speaking for the Georgia Genealogical Society on Zoom

  • Back to Basics: Research Planning and Execution Online
  • Crafting Genealogical Proof
  • Ten Resources I Use Every Day

Other:
Our weekly walk was to Lime Ridge, part of the Walnut Creek Open Space. It threatened rain but we were lucky and got none. The overcast sky was great for photographing flowers.

We attended the San Francisco Giants versus the Oakland Athletics on my birthday. It was a twilight game and was still light out when it was over. The Giants lost but we enjoyed ourselves. Elizabeth treated us to Club Level seats for my birthday. My friend Beth was there, too, in their season ticket seats and we visited a little. We finally used our new BART passes and new Clipper cards on the Muni. Travel on public transportation was surprisingly light.  

I am reading: Two of the books I read this week was done nearly nonstop. I couldn’t put the Meissner book down. This totals four books read for the month of March.

  • Board to Death by CJ Connor—FINISHED!
  • The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner—FINISHED!
  • Lone Oaks Crossing by Janet Dailey—FINISHED!
  • Germans in America by Walter D. Kamphoefner

Photos for this week.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


[1] “Bills and Resolutions,” Galveston Daily News, 21 Feb 1893, p. 1 col. 4.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.