Skip to main content

SNGF -- Genealogy Fools Day Is on Monday

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!





Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)   April Fools Day is Monday.  When were you a Genealogy Fool?  What wrong, funny, or silly genealogy effort did you make?

Here’s mine:
There have been a few mishaps in my adventures in genealogy research. In the beginning, I only looked at census records as I moved back generation by generation. Mostly I was successful. Occasionally I chose the wrong ancestor and would feel foolish. Once I discovered there were other kinds of records, I had to lop them off the tree. I also didn’t expect to find two men of the same name when I thought the name was unusual but I did, and I had to work hard sorting the two out. I felt foolish the few times I’d get an email saying I had the wrong person. Sullivan was a pretty common name in the mining areas of Montana. It’s easy to mix up families.

Also at the beginning, I relied mostly on indexed records I found in books and online at places like Rootsweb and USGENWEB websites. But I also used the sites to get addresses to record repositories and I wrote letters asking for records, such as death certificates, baptism records, and obituaries.

I cannot remember any particular foolish thing I did but I have many regrets. I regret that I didn’t listen more carefully and record what my grandmother told me about her life. I spent a summer with her and her sister and during dinner each night, they told such wonderful stories. I thought they were funny but it never occurred to me to write those stories down. Now I wish I had.

I wished I had asked my grandparents about their parents and grandparents. That would have given me stories five generations back. I never even asked my mother about her childhood and she died before I got the genealogy bug, so that was a great loss.


Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I'm happy you can't remember any particular foolish thing you did with your research. I wish I could say that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you on not asking/listening to more of the grandparents' stories. I would love to ask them what their parents and grandparents' lives were like, what their personalities were like and if my grandparents ever asked specifically about those lives. I also wish I could ask great grand-aunt Pearl who everyone is in all her photos. She lived well into my lifetime - I was 21 when she died, but I only saw her when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.