Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of July 15–21, 2024

I have completed two hundred and twenty-eight (228) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I went to the History Center (twice), hike (outdoors), Oakland FamilySearch Center, and phenology (outdoors).

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
I met with Jacqueline. We worked on flights from Eugene to Salt Lake City. We’re both going on the CGS research trip to the FamilySearch Library in September. On Wednesday, I got back from my weekly hike in time to see Deb Dean give her certification journey. We had met when I was in Joliet last month.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I worked on my Polly line more at the FamilySearch Center getting links from locked films. I finally transcribed all the newspaper articles I have found at the Portal to Texas History. I wrote about my progress on the timeline in a blog post this week.

Blog Post Published:

Automobiles My Parents Owned. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Automobiles” I wrote about the variety of cars my parents owned. I had photos of a few of them.

SNGF: What Maps Have You Found Recently? I looked for a few maps of Lewis County, Kentucky, looking for the location of a couple of watersheds where the Polly families lived.

Progress on the Polly Line: Keeping the Timeline Up to Date. In this bonus post, I explained how I am using a timeline to keep track of events in NHO Polly’s life, as well as fully documenting the source citations. I didn’t put all events from newspaper accounts, but rather created a Word document with transcriptions listed in chronological order.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I created another AppGen tip for YouTube. This one was about plat maps.

At the History Center, I worked on filing and processing some collections. On Saturday, I confirmed with Maxine about how to handle the collection of newspaper clippings. She was also okay with keeping the Pleasant Hill Historical Society Collection together in the finding aid.

It was a quiet day at my shift at the Oakland FamilySearch Center, so I worked on my own genealogy.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

  • For Whom the Bell Tolls: Deaths, Burials, and Memorialization by Lisa Oberg (Kinseekers)
  • Aboard Hospital Ships by Bonnie Potter (CCCGS)
  • Researching Cornish Ancestors by Lesley Trotter (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Finding Your Ancestors at the National SAR Genealogical Research Library by Cheri Daniels (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • The Anatomy of BMD: What You Don’t Know About Vital Records by Gena Philibert-Ortega (FSGS Poolside Chat)

Other:
It felt weird not getting up at 5 am every morning to watch tennis. I felt a little lost. I did listen to and watched a few Giants games this past week. Our hike was at the Carquinez Shoreline Park from the Bull Valley staging area, where we walked to Port Costa and back. The weather was cooperative and we had a cool, gentle breeze.

I am reading:

  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford—FINISHED! I enjoyed this book.
  • Wild Girls: How the Outdoors Shaped the Women Who Challenged a Nation by Tiya Miles
  • To Kill a Troubadour by Martin Walker

Photos for this week.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.