Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 17-24, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog post this week:
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks For week 12, I wrote about no. 12 in my husband’s ahnetafel chart: his great-grandfather, Nils Malkom Nilsen.
  • For Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, we were asked to writing about the birth order of one of our lines. So I did one of my grandmother’s side.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:  I attended:
  • “The Five-Story Fall: Correlating Indirect and Direct Evidence to Extend the Pedigree,” by Debbie Mieszala, CG, for BCG Legacy Family Tree Webinars.
  • “One African American Family’s Story of Migration,” J. Mark Lowe, CG, for Legacy Family Tree Webinars.
  • “Scarlet Letters: Copyright, Ethics and Family Correspondence,” by Denise May Levenick, MA, for the APG Writers SIG.
  • “Becoming a Better Conference Speaker: Proposals and Preparation” by Julie Miller, on the NGS website.
  • “Rescuing Orphaned Items: How to Save and Share Ebay, Etsy and Flea Market Finds,” by Thomas MacEntee, for Legacy Family Tree Webinars.
  • “Reconstructing Your Genetic Family Tree,” by Blaine Bettinger, for Legacy Family Tree Webinars.

I volunteered at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s History Center on Tuesday. Worked on some queries and then John and I started on the Starkey Collection for the finding aid. We had our board meeting on Thursday at the Museum of San Ramon Valley in Danville. They have a nice exhibit on the 1960s we viewed before the meeting.

Own Work. My work this week was centered on working on the George M. Barnes family in Hinds Co. He married Mary J Cooper, who was the daughter of Joseph Cooper and Mary Coor. Still trying to connect him to the same George M. Barnes who was the administrator of the John Coor estate in Copiah County.

I scanned the photos from my sister’s cookbook for the upcoming family book that I’m working on about our parents and grandparents. I will meet with my youngest sister on Monday to do the same.

I also played with DNA Painter, after watching the Blaine Bettinger webinar. I don’t have many matches on Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage, or GEDMatch that I know how we are related. I did manage to paint some of three different lines.

I am now part of two different Certification discussion groups that meet weekly. I encouraged a group of genealogists who want to become certified to get together so they have a forum to discuss issues and get encouragement from each other. I told them about how the group I had joined really helped me stay on track and turn in the portfolio. So now I’m the “leader” of the Thursday evening group, but I’m thinking more of a facilitator. Perhaps one day, they won’t need me at all. We had a nice discussion about presenting at genealogical societies and conferences at my Friday group. Annette gave us great tips, as well as recommending the video on the NGS website on preparing conference proposals. That is a video I’d watch again.

Other Activities
We’re almost done with the corrections/additions to the Friends of Alhambra Creek brochure. Off to the printer next, so it’s ready for the upcoming John Muir Earth Day Birthday celebration in April. Elaine and I worked at the Strentzel Meadow on Saturday for a NPS workday, clearing up a new path away from the fence and running water. There was a nice group of volunteers to help! She had her electric powered saw and worked hard.


I also worked hard in my garden, clearing weeds and grass from around the new sprouting California Poppies. I also planted some geraniums that I had in pots into the ground, and two native plants I purchased last fall: California Rose and California honeysuckle. The honeysuckle looks wilted and may not make it. There must be something wrong with the soil, as I’ve lost other plants there, too.


In the meadow after an evening of rain


Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments