Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 25-May 1, 2022

I have completed one hundred eleven (111) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. After being away from home last week for the PCR convention, I pretty much stayed home, only going to the history center, phenology, and to Oakland (where I stayed in the car).

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

How a Family Archive Can Help Document a Person’s Life I wrote about the kinds of ephemera I have about David Lundquist that adds to the story of his life and how these can jumpstart for future research. It was highlighted in Friday’s Family History Finds.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Keeps You from Doing Genealogy? I have many other hobbies besides genealogy, even though I spend a lot of time each week on researching and writing. I enjoy being outdoors in nature and am active with a local model railroad society.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: All four Amigos met and it was great seeing everyone. We will have to have an official meetup at the NGS Conference later this month. I attended the RootsMagic SIG and expressed my frustration with the citation feature. I have lost entries because of not “saving” before entering the citation notes. I have not figured out a routine yet to prevent that.

Client Work/Presentations:
I presented to my two Adult School classes this week, both the Intermediate 3 and the Writing Workshop. One more class for the Intermediate and two left to go for the Writing class, since it meets every other week.

Volunteer Work:
We’re still prepping for the book sale at the historical society. Much discussion on the price we should sell them, and finally selected out a few to be specially marked and the rest to be set at $2. The bigger goal is to be rid of the books, not make a lot of money, though that would be a nice benefit.

Own Work:
I worked on clearing the “to file” pile at my desk and worked on Hughes. That’s when I got frustrated with RootsMagic, as I had entered a complete estate inventory, which was difficult to read and found the citation itself wasn’t saved so the notes section wasn’t either. UGH!  

Webinars Viewed:
I viewed many webinars this week. Four from the Sonoma County Genealogical Society, who had Judy G. Russell, a couple of my friend, Jill’s I had not seen before, and two from the California Genealogical Society and the Sacramento German Genealogy Society, this one given by my friend, Mary.

  • Untold Stories from the California Historical Society's Collections by Frances Kaplan
  • Fraktur Und Fremdworter-Hacks For Reading Foreign Books & Newspapers by Mary Roddy
  • Finding A Father for Molly by Jill Morelli
  • Spanning 150 Years of Record Loss: A Methodological Approach to Identifying Parents in Sweden by Jill Morelli
  • Putting Records to Work by Judy G. Russell
  • NARA Mythbusters by Judy G. Russell
  • After the Courthouse Burns by Judy G. Russell
  • Advertising the Law: The Gems in Legal Notices by Judy G. Russell

Other
I am reading: I didn’t finish any books this week because I am reading three of them at once. Two are for book clubs and one for pleasure.

  • The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent
  • The Women of the House by Jean Zimmerman
  • To the Land of Lost Friends by Alexander McCall Smith

Photos for this week: Photos from previous weeks, as my allergies are preventing me from being outdoors too much.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments