Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What Keeps You From Doing Genealogy?

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1)  What keeps you from doing Genealogy?  What real life activity do you have to do, or like to do, that takes time away from genealogy research?

Here is mine:

So, what do I do besides genealogy? Even though I spent many hours every day on genealogy, researching and writing, I do have other interests.

Model railroading. I am a member of a local model railroad club where we have a huge layout that is open to the public at least once a month. I am also a member of the National Model Railroad Association and attend activities in the region (Pacific Coast) and division (Coast). I attend often the yearly convention of the region and just finished a four-year term as a director of the Coast Division. Our convention was last weekend at Rohnert Park and it was lots of fun with clinics, layout tours, and model exhibits. The Region also has meetings and I attend these, too. During the pandemic, they have been on Zoom and we had two field trips once meeting in person was allowed.

Nature. I am involved with activities involving natural history. I am a member of the Friends of Alhambra Creek and we work with native gardens, creek clean ups, and other activities. I also volunteer with the John Muir National Historic Park in the phenology program at Strentzel Meadow. I do this with Shirley weekly.

I am a member of the Mt. Diablo Audubon Society and attend bird watching trips. I used to take photos of birds with a telephoto lens but since the lens has malfunctioned, I have been satisfied with just viewing the birds with a binocular.

Travel. My husband and I enjoy traveling and since our retirement, we have made many trips. We have visited the foreign countries of England, Wales, Scotland, The Netherlands, Germany, and Guatemala. We also enjoy traveling in the United States and visited many of the states. Both of us enjoy riding trains and usually travel by train. We traveled to Vermont last fall and will visit Maine this fall on a tour.

Reading. I am an avid reader of mysteries and historic fiction. During the pandemic, I joined a book club and have since read non-fiction books, some even on my own! I usually have two to three books that I’m working on at one time.

The rest of the time is spent on household duties and watching T.V., such as shows on CBS (the channel we get via the antenna), and tennis and baseball (SF Giants) during the appropriate season. 


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. That sounds like a great retirement, Lisa. I am glad you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Model railroading is somewhat of a unique hobby. I amazed that you have a local club and even a big display for the public. I love your Monday morning nature photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The woman to man ratio is the opposite as that in genealogy! I can't comment on your blog, so I'll do it here: sorry you haven't been able to get to a FHC for those locked films. Ours has been open since September.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.