Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 24–30, 2024

I have completed two hundred and twenty-five (225) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I spent the week mostly indoors, attending GRIP virtually. Wednesday, I volunteered at OFSC, Friday, I ran trains at the WCMRS show, and on Saturday, I attended a memorial for a member of our Friends of Alhambra Creek group.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
I met with Jacqueline via Zoom on Monday, and Wednesday (Amigos), where we discussed our GRIP classes and the programs that were discussed in the evening webinars. We also did a lot of texting as we tried out Family Tree Notebook pages. I popped into the Monday Morning meeting during our lunch break at GRIP and said hello.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I spent most of the week in a class, but created an ancestor profile for my husband’s farming ancestor, Amos Gorrell. Over the weekend, I cleaned up many folders in my download folder, renaming them, entering the info in RootsMagic, and filing them in the appropriate folders. I had scanned papers at the OFSC on their copiers months ago and finally had the time to rename the files and file them. I also finished up renaming and entering the deeds I had collected for NHO Polly. While in Oakland, I was able to grab links to the deeds that are locked and finish the citations in my spreadsheet. The next big folder to tackle is the one from my Texas research trip.

Blog Post Published:

Sullivan Sisters Gather, but Where? For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Gather” I wrote about my grandmother visiting with her two sisters, Nellie and Loretta. They are standing in front of a house and I spent some time analyzing using Google Street View, where they might have visited.

SNGF: Have You Made Progress on Your 2024 Genealogy Goals? I made six goals and had not really done much on any of them. The exercise brought these to my attention and I will spend time working on them more.

Happy 13th Blogiversary. I have blogged for thirteen years and made a celebratory post. I tried sharing on Facebook and they took it down, saying I did it to try to get likes. Crazy! Isn’t that why everyone posts on Facebook?

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
Because of the online class, I only went to the History Center on Thursday afternoon so I could close the center since our director was on vacation. I did go to the Oakland FamilySearch Center on Wednesday afternoon but there were no one to help, so I worked on my own family. I have been discussing the possibility of doing a RootsMagic workshop for the volunteers and patrons sometime in August or September. We’re still working out the details.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:
The course I took at GRIP was “Not Just Farmers: Records, Relationships, and the Reality of Their Lives,” coordinated by Cari Taplin, along with Cyndi Ingle and Paula Stuart-Warren. It was a great class and the syllabus is over 200 pages with lots of links to some wonderful resources. Besides this class, I view the following webinars:

  • New at FamilySearch by Lynn Turner (GRIP Evening Program)
  • How to do more Genealogy in Less Time with Goldie May's Tools by Richard Miller (GRIP Evening Program)
  • Family Tree Notebooks: A Simple Way to Get Organized by Carly Morgan (GRIP Evening Program)
  • How to Find the Truth about a Family Story by Eizabeth Shown Mills (LFT Webinars)
  • Kentucky and Virginia Tax Lists--5 1/2 Strategies for Identifying That Elusive Early Southerner by Gail Jackson Miller (LFT Webinars)
  • The Hidden Web by Cyndi Ingle (Sonoma Co Gen Soc - June seminar)
  • Life Cycle of a Record: From Clerks and Clerics to You, The Digital User by Cyndi Ingle (Sonoma Co Gen Soc - June seminar)

Other:
I got my native garden weeded this week but manage to have one of the plants poke me in the eye which cause redness and soreness for nearly a week. At phenology, we discovered the NPS staff were a little over-zealous in trimming out dead plants that they also got one of our study specimens. Let’s hope some of grows back from the rootstock next year. Lastly, a large group of Friends of Alhambra Creek turned out for Diane Viera’s memorial in Moraga. It was a very nice event with many people telling Diane stories. She will be dearly missed.

I am reading:

  • The Mystery of the Lost Cézanne by M.L. Longworth--FINISHED!
  • The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri

Photos for this week. I took no walks this week with my cellphone camera, so I’ll share a few landscape shots taken on our trip to NYC.

Donner Lake, California

Colorado River, Colorado

Chicago, Illinois

Looking west toward New Jersey from our hotel room on Manhattan

Monongahela River from the Monongahela Incline, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments