Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 49: Winter in Blackwater, Missouri

I am working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I’m looking forward to writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Joseph Norman Gorrell was born in the last days of Winter on 9 March 1869 in Blackwater, Cooper County, Missouri.

His father, Amos Gorrell, kept a daily journal and recorded the following on his birthday:

“Weather cloudy at intervals with some rain. I go up to the Clarks in the morning and grind my axes. Jimmy helps me. Geo. works in the clearing. Both of the boys work there in the P.M. Wife is unwell – (labor) takes suddenly ill at noon and a child (a boy) is soon born. Before any person gets here. I am all alone at the time go immediately for Mrs. Clark and Mrs. Hill. they come and attend to everything all right. I go and bring Mrs. Oneal. but all is over before she gets here. She stays all night. Wife appears to be doing well the babe also.”

He didn’t name the baby on that day, but when he wrote the year-end summary, he wrote:

Have also had an addition to our family of a fine boy which we call Joseph Norman ... 


According to Amos’ diary, the winter in Blackwater was pretty mild, with only a few days of snow. It was often cold and cloudy, with an occasional rain or snow. There were even some warm days in January! After reading several years of diaries, he probably enjoyed living in Missouri more than his previous home in Ohio, where the weather was more severe.

Amos & Liby Gorrell with their six children
Joseph Norman Gorrell is on the left

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.