Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of December 24-30, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
After Christmas, I decided to work on family research by taking care of some back-logged items, entering them into RootsMagic, and renaming the files as appropriate. I worked for three days entering nearly 200 deed records from Kaufman and Rockwall Counties in Texas that I had obtained from the Family History Library back in 2015. These deeds are for the Lancaster family, with Polly and Butler families thrown in. I discovered some interesting information on George W. Lancaster by transcribing the deeds. More on that in a separate blog post.

Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog posts this week:

 Cert Support Group: We did not meet and have no plans to meet until February, due to a multitude of commitments in January. Some of us will get together during SLIG in Salt Lake City.

Other Activities
My daughter, Elizabeth, came to stay with us on Christmas Eve and stayed through to Thursday. It was such a nice visit with her. We made potato soup (the recipe from the Swedish cookbook) on Christmas Eve and played Yam-Slam again. We “called” our younger daughter, Margaret, who lives in New York City, and video-chatted with her while playing our game. It was already Christmas there!

On Christmas, we opened some presents and ate pancakes and sausage. Later, we took in a movie (the really late show) of Mary Poppins Returns, which we all enjoyed very much. And then at home we watched the first episode of Crown. It was nearly 3 am when we got to bed!

We did a little shopping on Wednesday and Thursday, tried a new Mexican restaurant, and then Elizabeth was on her way home after my ukulele lesson. It was a very nice visit.

I also set up and filled the bird feeders on my porch and am enjoying the arrival of finches, nuthatches, titmouses, Nutall’s Woodpeckers, and warblers. Even a jay was trying to get some of the peanuts but the feeder is not designed for them.



 Happy New Year!

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments