Skip to main content

Eight Surnames

It is said we should know the surnames of our eight great-grandparents. As a genealogist, it is very likely that we do know the names of our great-grandparents, and the names of our spouse’s eight great-grandparents. For this post, I got the idea from this post “The Theory of Eight Surnames” written by Scottish blogger named Jim.

My eight surnames are:
Hork
Sievert
Sullivan
Gleeson
Johnston
Hutson
Lancaster
Loveless

I also research my husband’s family. His eight surnames are:
Gorrell
Shotts
Davey
Wollenweber
Nilsen
Anderson-Carlson
Lundquist
Eriksson


There is difficulty in dealing with his mother’s line, as they are all from Sweden and their surnames changed each generation. The list above are the names used in America.

I also have the sixteen surnames of the great-great grandparents for both myself and my husband. After that, it can be hit and miss, as to whether I know the surnames. My Irish lines are pretty dead after that.  My mother’s southern lines go on and on.


Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments