Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 2–8, 2021

I have completed seventy-three (73) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I went out to the bank, the history center, the court office and county recorder's office, and an afternoon trip to a museum (see below). All wearing a mask of course. Also got in a few walks around the neighborhood, one where we toured an open house, and did some weeding in the garden, which is so dry.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: I wrote two posts this week.

52 Ancestors—Week 31: Favorite Name—When Hazel was a Man’s Name I wrote the four people named Hazel in my family, three of which were men!

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun—Newspaper Headlines on Your Birth Date I found a newspaper in Dayton, Ohio, with news of the Academy Award winners. It is often broadcast near my birthday.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: Besides the weekly meeting with my AppGen partners, I met with Jacqueline, Thursday evening ladies, and Friday peer group. It was the first time in months that four of us ladies met together and it was nice to catch up. Our Friday group discussed the “what” in Tom Jones’ book, Mastering Genealogical Documentation. We focused on Civil War draft registration that Alex was struggling with.  

Webinars & Classes Attended
: I watched one webinar this week. She had some fantastic images of farmers and their equipment and she gave me links where to find more.

  • What is Social History and Why Should a Genealogist Care? By Annette Burke Lyttle

Client Work/Presentations: I worked during the week on my land course, getting closer to finding a good case study in New England deeds. I have no family here, so have not done any extensive research in that location. Most of the deeds in the New England states are locked on FamilySearch except for Massachusetts, so that’s where we’ll be working. I got an assignment for some pulls in the local court office and up in the next county.

Volunteer & Own Work:
I worked most of the day at the History Center. We’re getting closer to weeding through the books for the sale on the 21st.

Other:
Saturday, we celebrated with an after party the completion of the online convention for the National Model Railroad Association convention. We had a nice ride and a tour of the train shop at the Ardenwood Farm in Newark. It looks like a great place to volunteer to help restore their equipment. Afterwards, we stopped by Jack’s house to view his layout and then to dinner at Massimo’s. It was a nice afternoon and evening. This is probably the most I have spent with lots of other people since the family reunion.

Book club on Sunday, we discussed Marcel’s Letters, which everyone loved. I’m considering buying the font because it’s so pretty and I know the back-story of its creation.

I’m reading the following books:

  • Marcel’s Letters by Carolyn Porter – Finished!
  • A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
  • Girl Waits with a Gun by Amy Stewart

Photos for this week: Some shots of our tour and visit at Jack’s layout. His layout is of the Yosemite Valley Railroad and he has such authentic looking scenery.





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments