Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Oct 16–22, 2023

I have completed one hundred eighty-nine (189) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I remained masked at medical appointments (blood draws and vaccinations), and in the airport and on flights to and from Salt Lake City.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
I met up with BCG associates this weekend in Salt Lake City. It was great seeing people in person! Saturday evening, I had dinner with genealogists Helen (from Australia), Judy, and Linda at the Blue Iguana.

Genealogy Writing
I worked on my research report for my renewal while at the FamilySearch Library in Salt Lake City and got a lot done. I sure enjoyed working on their computers (they have Microsoft Office!) and being able to look up documents in the catalog as I needed them.

Blog Posts:

Friends and Classmates of Margaret T Gleeson at Mitchell High School 1892. I used Newspapers.com again to locate newspaper articles about my great-grandaunt, Margaret T. Gleeson, and her friends. I turned over a photo from an album and discovered six girls who graduated from Mitchell High School and their names were in the newspaper article.

SNGF: Do a Genealogy Software Problem Report. I ran a “problem report” and discovered I did not have any new ones since the last time I ran the report.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I volunteered at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s History Center but did not last the day. I had the latest Pfizer booster the day before and it kicked my butt. I processed new donations that had come in while I was on vacation and did an obituary lookup for a researcher. I also volunteered at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday but there were few there who needed help. I worked on my own work.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Steamer Kate Explosion: Correlating Indirect Evidence to Identify and Correct and Error by C. Ann Staley (BCG/LFT Webinars)
  • Gentlemen Judges: The Justices of the Peace by Judy G. Russell (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Deconstructing Family Stories: Are They Fact, Fiction, or a Little of Both by Barbara Vines Little (Reisinger Lectures – FSL)
  • Lineage of Land: Tracing Property Without Recorded Deeds by Shannon Green (Reisinger Lectures – FSL)
  • The Many Wives of Howard William Lowe: Working with Social History to Glean Genealogical Insights by Gary L. Ball-Kilbourne (Reisinger Lectures – FSL)
  • Assumptions: Problem-Solving Friend or Foe? by Jennifer Zinck (Reisinger Lectures – FSL)
  • DNA Analysis Methodology: Defeat the Genealogy Gremlin with Pedigree Evaluation, Mitigation, and Reasoning by Karen Stanbury (Reisinger Lectures – FSL)

Other:
I flew to Salt Lake City where I roomed at the Plaza Hotel with Mary. It is so convenient to the FamilySearch Library. I watched the Reisinger lectures at the library on Friday, worked at the library on Friday evening during a lock-in and all day on Saturday, and had a meeting to attend on Sunday. On my way to the airport, I boarded the wrong train and ended up in a different part of Salt Lake City. Instead of working my way back, I took a Lyft. The weather in the city was nice and I got in some walking in on the long streets. It was so nice seeing old friends and meeting people I know on Zoom but hadn't met in person.

I am reading:

  • The Battling Prophet by Arthur W. Upfield—finished!
  • Guardians of the Valley: John Muir and the Friendship that Saved Yosemite by Dean King

The reading challenge so far for this year is 42 books completed out of a goal of 50 books. I might make it, except I spend a lot of time writing instead of reading. 

Photos for this week.
Beautiful sky in Salt Lake City. First of the FamilySearch Library & Capitol viewed from my hotel room and the second of the temple retrofit in the background. 


My setup at the FamilySearch Library where I got a lot done.


Friends with whom I had dinner.


Doggie meeting Helen's Shadow.


Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Love your photos from SLC. Looks like it was productive and lots of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I'm glad I went and wished I could have stayed longer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.