Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Oct 9–15, 2023

I have completed one hundred eighty-eight (188) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. We traveled aboard the Amtrak Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland, Oregon, arriving on time and then on the Starlight to our home, arriving on Thursday morning. The only other time out was to the celebration of life for my niece on Saturday.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
None this week, though I tried to attend the Certification Discussion Group, but the wifi in the Amtrak waiting room in Portland could not handle the Zoom meeting.

Genealogy Writing
I continued adding the newspaper information found the previous week into my RootsMagic database as I was without wifi most of the time on the train except when we stopped at stations. Hopefully this week, I can get back to working on the writing of my element for my recertification.

Blog Posts:

Locating Newspaper Articles to Document Carrie Hork’s Travels. I used Newspapers.com to locate newspaper articles about the many travels my maiden great-aunt took. This post was highlighted on “Friday Family History Finds” by Linda Stufflebean.

SNGF: Have You Helped Someone with Their Genealogy? I have researched the families of my husband’s friend, Rod.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I sent out the press release for the upcoming BCG Legacy Family Tree Webinar.  I am looking forward to getting back to my volunteer gigs.

Webinars Viewed: Catching up on missed webinars. These were all excellent.

  • Mini Case Studies Demonstrates Finding Town of Origin by Teresa Steinkamp McMillin, CG (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Gold! Gold! Gold! The 1897 Klondike Rush by Jill Morelli (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • A Revolutionary War Case Study: Joseph L Harper by Craig Scott (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
Most of the week was spent traveling aboard Amtrak trains. We left Chicago on the Empire Builder toward Portland, Oregon. We spent two nights aboard the train in bedrooms. I had meals with a nice couple from Kentucky. In Portland, we boarded the Coast Starlight and had the family bedroom. We arrived home on Thursday morning. I enjoyed riding along the Columbia River and took lots of photos.

Saturday, we attended the Celebration of Life for my niece, Kristina, who passed away in July at the very young age of forty-one. The pastor of her church said some very nice things about her and her faith in Jesus. It was also great to see all my brothers and sisters, as it has been over a year since we got together.

I am reading:

  • The Body in the Castle Well by Martin Walker—finished!
  • The Long Way Home by Louise Penny—finished!
  • The Battling Prophet by Arthur W. Upfield

Photos for this week. From my Sunday morning walk around my neighborhood.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Thank you for stopping by and letting me know that you enjoy my posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.