Skip to main content

SNGF: Do a Genealogy Software Problem Report

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings:

1)  Have you created a Problem report from your desktop genealogy software program?  Tell us which software you're using, how you found the "Problem Report," and your results using it.

Here’s mine:

I’m in Salt Lake City on a short research and writing trip, and am getting to this Sunday morning. It’s been very pleasant here in the 70s.

I am a member of the RootsMagic SIG at the California Genealogical Society and we had a discussion about the Problem Search tool a few months ago. I ran this tool and fixed a few items. I was curious about what new items I might find now a few months later.

Here are the items I am having the tool check:

Here are the results. I remember now that for some of the items, I did not have enough information to make a correction, for example with a woman who was 52 years old at the birth of a child. They are likely due to poor information about their ages from census records. For others, like Jon Nilsson, he was 85 when he got married! None of these need to be changed. Yeah!

Thanks, Randy, for this exercise. All genealogists should run these tools regularly so their database is a accurate as possible.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Lucky you in SLC! I'd love to be there for a few days. As for marrying at 85, I actually have a couple of those old men, married three or four or five times and the last marriages were almost that old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Linda, I wish I could be in SLC also! I discovered that almost every item in my problem report isn't actually a problem, it's just that FTM has an odd way of interpreting years without specific dates. I guess that's another reason I should look more at Roots Magic, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.