Outside activities included a week at GRIP in Pittsburgh, the flight home, and train club show over the weekend.
Genealogy
Genealogy Volunteer/Work: None this week.
Genealogy Meetings: None this week.
Genealogy Writing/Research: I did work on Amos Gorrell, Sr. this week, writing the 52 Ancestors post and creating another about the platting I did in class at GRIP.
Blog Posts Published:
Trying to Understand a Tax Record in Beaver County,
Pennsylvania
For the theme of “A Source I Want to Understand
Better,” I wrote about the tax records from Beaver County and how I found the
law that explains them. Highlighted by Linda Stufflebean and 52 Ancestors.
Land Platting Amos Gorrell’s Beaver County,
Pennsylvania Land (12 for ’26)
I wrote about the deeds I
platted in Deedmapper concerning Amos’s land.
SNGF: Your Farthest Flung Ancestor
We had to figure out the
ancestors that came from the farthest.
Courses Attended:
- Metes & Bounds: Land Platting at GRIP with Jerry Smith, Sydney Cruice and Kimberly Powell.
Webinars Viewed: None.
Other:
Besides
being in class all day, I had meals in nice restaurants, toured the
International Rooms at the Cathedral of Learning, and photographed some of the
surrounding points of interest. Jacqueline and I roomed in the dorms. It was pretty hot but the humidity wasn't too bad. By Thursday, the smoke from the Canadian fires covered the sky and on Friday, we needed to wear masks. On the flights there and back, I watched 11 episodes of Blue Bloods on my tablet I downloaded from Amazon Prime. So glad I did that, as my flight home had no entertainment available.
I am reading:
Ancestoring: Understanding
Records, Family, and Ourselves by
Darci Hind Posz
This Land is Your Land by Beverly Gage
Death on a Scottish Train:
A Scottish Isle Mystery by Lucy
Connelly—FINISHED!
The Red Queen by Martha Grimes—FINISHED!
The Greatest Sentence Ever
Written by Walter Isaacson—FINISHED!
The House of Found Objects by Jo Beckett-King—FINISHED!
Photos for this
week.
![]() |
| In front of the Cathedral of Learning |
![]() |
| Inside: Looks like Hogwarts |
![]() |
| In front of the University of Pittsburgh mascot |
![]() |
| Another view of the inside of the Cathedral of Learning |
![]() |
| What the air looked like on Friday |
Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives, but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.





Comments
Post a Comment
All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.
If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.