Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Ancestral Family Migration Map

 It's Saturday Night - 

Time for more Genealogy Fun! 

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to: 

This SNGF is based on the Migration map that my friend J. Paul Hawthorne made on Facebook on 18 November.  He used Birth dates and Places for his paternal line. 

1)  For this week's SNGF, make your own migration map for whichever surname or ancestral line you want.  Use a World Map or a country map.  Choose birth, marriage, death, or migration year to put the spots on the map and label them with the year.

2)  Share your map with all of us by writing your own blog post, writing a comment on this blog post, or put it in a Facebook post.  Please leave a comment on this post so others can find it.


Here's mine:  

I created my map using PowerPoint as well. I highlighted all of the elements and grouped them and then right-clicked to save as an image.

The first one is of my Coor line. They were in North Carolina in the 1700s. Daniel Coor moved to South Carolina in the late 1700s. After he died, his son John and mother moved to Copiah Co, Mississippi. John’s son, James M moved to Erath Co, Texas in 1885. His daughter married William C Lancaster. Her granddaughter, Pansy (my grandmother) married Tom Johnston and in 1942, they moved to Idaho where he worked for the Navy. Later they moved to California and remained the rest of their lives, along with their offspring.

 


The second map shows the immigration of Nils Malcom Nilsen, my husband’s great-grandfather. I forgot the line showing his immigration from Sweden to Sheffield, Pennsylvania. He was a minister and each of these moves was a move to pastor in another church. From Sheffield, he went to Youngstown, Ohio, then to Cromwell, Connecticut where he found a children’s home. After a time there, he pastored in Harcourt, Iowa for a few years and then came to California. He was in Hilmar, San Pedro, Escalon, and Scotts Valley before retiring back to Hilmar.


That was fun and a nice visual to show migration. I plan to do this with all of my lines and could be used in family history books I plan to write.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Love your map. Your family made quite a few stops along the way, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my families did, typical of west coasters.

      Delete
    2. I love your maps. They are so cool. I think this is a great idea for what I'm currently working on.

      Delete
  2. A map is worth a thousand words. I'm going to adapt this map-by-PPT since it's so easy to label and mark up with any ancestor info I want to add!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.