Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of November 1–7, 2021

I have completed eighty-six (86) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. This past week I left the house to volunteer at the CCCHS History Center on Tuesday and Saturday, volunteer at the Oakland FamilySearch Library on Wednesday evening, clean up figures for the circus set-up at the Walnut Creek train club, and do phenology.  

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

52 Ancestors—Week 44: Voting—Records of My Grandmother, Anna M. Sullivan Hork Voting I wrote about the history of my grandmother voting.  

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your Computer History. I wrote out the history of my computer use starting in 6th grade through today.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended Amigos on Tuesday with Stewart and the Peer Group on Friday with three others. That session was productive and we now have plans for future study. On Friday, the AppGen members met to discuss our class progress and future classes.

Volunteer Work
At the History Center on Tuesday morning, I worked on fulfilling several queries, putting away more books in the library, and helping Ben with database input. Saturday, I met with Maxine to get her up-to-date with the library and archives progress. I got input from her on how to process the Pleasant Hill Historical Society materials.

Wednesday, I worked my evening shift at the Oakland FamilySearch Library and helped a woman try to locate her formerly enslaved ancestor in some records. Afterwards, I scanned some misc. Gorrell file folders and discarded into the recycle what I didn’t need to keep. I hope to do a little of that each time I go.

Saturday, I taught the “Intro to Genealogy: Vital Records” class for the California Genealogical Society. Part way into the Zoom lecture, my power went off. Of course, they could no longer hear me and I was dropped from the call because I lost internet. Once I got my phone set up as a hot spot, the power came back on. Luckily, I had made Pam a co-host, she called me to find out what happened, and could let the class know until I was able to return. It was a small class and we even had someone from the UK there!

Own Work:
I taught the third census class and second writing class at the adult school on Monday, and the third session of the land class for the Applied Genealogy Institute on Thursday. I wrote out the lesson and PowerPoint for the last census class to be taught on Monday.

I have been too busy to work on my own work, other than what I did with the old files. I have files in the download folder that need processing and I did a little research on Woodie Johnston that need to be entered into RootsMagic.

The Lovelace-Loveless groups.io moderator suggested we do a write up about a Loveless ancestor whenever we notice an event on the calendar day. I created a short list through the end of the month of possible people I could highlight.

I viewed no webinars this week. I need to view Craig Scott’s Civil War talk from the Contra Costa Genealogical Society before the end of the month to take notes, and the rest of the talks from the Texas State Genealogical Seminar.

Other:
I visited the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society clubroom on Wednesday to help Karen clean up the figures for the big circus display that will be set up for the November show.  I also attended part of the Coast Division meeting on Zoom on Saturday.

I am reading:

  • A Family Apart by Joan Lowery Nixon—Finished!
  • Broken Trust by W.E.B. Griffin

Photos for this week: The meadow during phenology.








Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments