Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- -- Your Genealogy Database Statistics

It's Saturday Night -

Time for more Genealogy Fun!

 

 Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to: 

1)  If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database (hint:  the Help button is your friend!)

2)  Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook comment.


NOTE:  WE last did this in August 2017.

Here's mine:

Well, I checked but did not do this post from Aug 2017 because I was on a genealogy road trip. I wish I had, because then I could compare 2017 to today. I use the same genealogy software program as Randy, RootsMagic, and it is easy to find the properties.

I have over 7200 people and 2500 families. Of that, there are over 17,000 events, though there should be a lot more.

When I started out using PAF (Personal Ancestral File), it was a DOS program and I put all of the events in the notes area. As I migrated the file from PAF to Legacy Family Tree and then to RootsMagic, there are many events that I haven’t migrated from Notes to actual Events unless I worked on that family extensively.

Of sources, I have 1728 different sources with 10,000 citations. The reason I have so many is each census year is broken down by counties, for example 1900 Erath Co Texas as one source. It made sense to me at the time I started. I seem to have more events than citations. I’ll have to investigate to see which events have no citation. Likely, the citation is in the notes field instead of the source field.

Also notice I have only 10 multimedia items and 17 multimedia links. I just don’t like to link images to the database. I have a tendency to move files around and then all the links would be broken. I know where the files are without having them linked.

I am currently going through paper files and updating my RootsMagic file to reflect the data. Then I’m recycling the paper unless it is an original. Most of my old files are old photocopies from books or downloads from Ancestry or FamilySearch. Once I know I have the digital file, then the paper is tossed. Last week I cleaned up the COOR line and it was very satisfying getting 12 inches of files down to two.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I am envious of your 10,000+ citations. I have to force myself to go back to those infernal source templates and try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use the source templates, but rather free-form. That way I get what I want. The template citations do not always transfer well in a GED-COM.

      Delete
  2. Another person who doesn't use the templates! I agree, that way you get what you want. And I noted not very many media links. But I'm most impressed by your comment about getting rid of photocopied records. Wow, 12" down to 2" of paper is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very satisfying and I want to get from six file boxes to one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.