Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of November 15–21, 2021

I have completed eighty-eight (88) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. This past week I left the house to volunteer at the CCCHS History Center on Tuesday, the Oakland FamilySearch Library, and on Thursday, took a trip with friends to Truckee.  

Genealogy

Blog Writing: Last week’s post on voting records in California was one of the post highlighted in the 52 Ancestors weekly email.

52 Ancestors—Week 46: Birthday: Mam-ma’s 99th I shared about my grandmother’s 99th birthday, the last that she celebrated.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your Ancestral Family Migration Map. We were to take a map and draw the migration route of one family line. I did two: one for the Coor/Lancaster/Johnston line of my grandmother, and the other was my husband’s great-grandfather’s route through the U.S. as he served as pastor in a variety of places.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I attended the NGS Quarterly study group on Tuesday and the AppGen meetings on Monday and Wednesday.

Volunteer Work
At the History Center, I worked on updating the finding aid and adding new collections to PastPerfect. There were too few customers at the Oakland FamilySearch Library, but I met the new missionaries from Logan, Utah and the new directors of the library.  

Own Work:
I taught the third Writing Workshop class on Monday. Their work is coming along nicely.

From Thursday through Sunday, three other genealogists and I spent the four days working on our genealogy projects while staying at a cabin. We took turns preparing meals and took time to share our research or research problems. On our last night, we went out to dinner celebrating our accomplishes. I was able to reduce many inches of paper from files of my Coor line (a family from North Carolina and Mississippi), as I made sure the information in the papers were already entered in my database and images were made. My plan is to do this to all of my family lines to reduce the amount of paper in my home. Perhaps I can go from six large file boxes to one. I do recommend a genealogy retreat where you can get a lot done without distractions.

Webinars Viewed. None viewed this week.

Other: I also worked on a Shutterfly photo book about our private train trip to Vermont and NYC. I have a coupon for free pages and hope to finish adding the text details before the coupon expires.

I am reading:

  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble by Amy Stewart–FINISHED!
  • Gospel According to the Klan by Kelly J. Baker
  • A Legacy of Murder by Connie Berry

Photos for this week:






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments