Skip to main content

Popular Name: Mary Beats Out John

This week’s 52 Ancestor’s theme is popular name. I wondered, what is the most popular first name in my genealogy database?

It took some digging and counting to come up with the answer. I use RootsMagic 8. By using the Person Search-Advanced, I could search on the Given Name. I tried four common first names: Mary, John, William, and Elizabeth. The results are in reverse order:

  • William has 58 entries.
  • Elizabeth has 66 entries, including 10 with no known last name. Eliza has 6 entries.
  • Mary has 91 entries, including 23 with no known last name.
  • John has 97 entries.

However, I realized that I was missing people who also had middle names, so I changed the criteria to “contain” the name. I got a different outcome:

  • Elizabeth has 150 entries.
  • William has 210 entries.
  • John has 268 entries.
  • Mary has 272 entries.

Now there could be duplicates in John and William entries and in Mary and Elizabeth’s entries, if people had both as their first and middle name.

It really boils down that John and Mary are very popular names. One quarter of my children’s ancestry is Roman Catholic and these are names of saints. All of the names were very common in the 17th through 19th centuries.

Today, few are named John and Mary or even William and Elizabeth. It will be interesting in 100 years to see what the most popular name was in the 20th & 21st centuries.

#52Ancestors-Week 24: Popular Name—Mary Beats Out John

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments