Skip to main content

Conflict: World War I Soldiers Study

From Souvenir Folder Showing Views of U.S. Army

I am studying family members who served during World War I. I began the study with my great-uncle, Jack C. Sullivan, who served with Co. E of the 4th Engineers. I have written often about his service. Search on “4th Engineers” to find the posts.

Since that time, I have discovered many more who also served. Here are some of them:

  • Charles Robert Coor
  • Dempsey Bryan Coor
  • Oran Franklin Coor
  • Patrick Henry Coor
  • Sandy Alfred Coor
  • George Thomas Davey
  • Cyril W. Hork
  • Luther Enel Hutson
  • Charles P Naber
  • Carl Dave Nilsen
  • Joseph Walter Nilsen
  • John Vir Quigley
  • Frank August Sievert
  • Frank Joseph Soares
  • William Wesley Waldron

These men all have Veteran’s Administration Master Index cards that give information about their service with enlistment and discharge dates, and unit served and their rank. There is also birth, death, and address at one time in their life. It is a great source to jumpstart your research into other records documenting WWI service.

VAMI card for John Vir Quigley

I am looking forward to a class being taught in fall by K.B. Barcomb with Applied Genealogy Institute titled “Course 1: Advanced U.S. Military Records & Research: World War One.” There are lots of records one can find to document a WWI soldier during their service, even if their service file burned in the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

 

#52Ancestors-Week 22: Conflict—World War I Soldier Study

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Those VAMI cards are full of details, including death dates! Such a good idea to study veterans in context.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.