Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 13-19, 2022

I have completed one hundred nineteen (119) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I was out and about a little more this week, volunteering at the history center, going to the recorder’s office in Martinez and Fairfield, as well as the court records' office.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Popular Name: Mary Beats Out John  I worked out how many people in my database I had with popular first names and I have more Marys than Johns, Elizabeths, and Williams, which where the next popular names.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Grandmother Memories Randy Seaver had us write about our memories of our grandmothers. I was surprised because it was Father’s Day weekend, that we didn’t writing about our memories of our grandfathers.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:

  • I attended my first Kinseekers Military SIG meeting. They are out of Florida and KB showed us some good places to get WWI military information. The Morning Reports are online at Fold3 but difficult to search and browse.
  • Jacqueline and I met on Monday and I practiced my Brick Wall talk with her.
  • No one was at the Peer group meeting so I only waited 10 minutes before signing off.

Client Work/Presentations:
I got another request for some record pulls at the recorder’s offices in Contra Costa County and Solano County, and the court clerk’s office in Solano County. I discovered in Solano County that one needs an appointment to get records so I’m waiting for that email to be returned.

I presented my Brick Wall talk to the Qualicum Beach Family History Society on Tuesday evening. My talks that usually go over an hour in person, always finishes way short of an hour, even though I try to speak slowly. I think it is because in person I allow for questions to be posed during the session. It’s so much harder to do that on Zoom when you cannot see the audience. Afterwards, there were no questions really. Most people don’t turn on their videos either. I did try something. I asked people to put into the chat what tip they would try next in tackling their tough problem and I got about 8 people who responded. It felt a little weird with so many of my examples from the U.S. when they were from British Columbia, though I had some Ontario, Canada examples.

Volunteer Work:
It was quiet in the morning at the History Center and I got through all of the subject clipping files, pulling out anything that would be better suited in the library. A woman came in looking for information about her Castro family in San Pablo and we sold a membership and some used books to her. Thursday was the board meeting and we tried a hybrid setup so those who couldn’t be there in person could still attend. It was not completely successful. It was hard to hear some of the members who were sitting too far from the computer microphone. It was suggested to purchase a mic that could sit in the center of the room.

I attended the board meeting of the Sonoma County Genealogical Society and I will be appointed recording secretary at the next meeting. I practiced recording the minutes during the meeting, as I get to know the other members and their function.

I did my volunteer shift at the Oakland FamilySearch Library and took care of the front desk for a while. It’s fun greeting the people as they came in and I was glad the phone didn’t ring!

Own Work:
At the OFSL, I got copies of deed records from Plymouth and Clinton counties in Iowa that are locked from home. This is for the Michael Gleeson family who immigrated from Ontario, Canada in the 1860s to Clinton County. At home, I have been entering the data and transcriptions into RootsMagic. I hope to write up a genealogy and narrative about this family.

I also worked on one of my family members who served during World War I. William Wesley Waldron was the father of my uncle, Wally Waldron, who married my dad’s sister, Lorene.

Webinars Viewed: I attended three presentations this week:

  • 19th Century Ontario Enigma Case Study by Janice Nickerson
  • Little Things Count Too: A Potpourri of Writing Do's and Don't's . . . by Barbara Vines Little
  • How To Write Ancestral Stories Your Relatives Will Want To Read by Pam Vestal

Other: We visited our daughter, Elizabeth on Father’s Day, taking up the growing box system that once belonged to my grandmother. She used to get the biggest tomatoes from it. It’s set up that the water is fed from below the soil. We brought tomato and pepper plants, too. We ate dinner at a Peruvian restaurant, eating outside while our car got charged enough to drive home. Afterwards, we video chatted with daughter in New York, who is thinking of visiting us soon!

I am reading:

  • The Swallowtail Legacy by Michael Beil—FINISHED!
  • Water Street by Patricia Reilly Giff
  • Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Gordon H. Chang
  • On the Farm Front: The Women’s Land Army in World War II by Stephanie A. Carpenter
  • A Practical Guide to Swedish Church Records by Geoffrey Fröberg Morris

Photos for this week: I didn't shoot many photos last week. Here are the best of what I did shoot.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Lisa, your week sounds busy and stimulating! I also have had difficulty searching or even browsing those morning reports on Fold3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed with your commitment of writing this every week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.