Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 20-26, 2022

I have completed one hundred twenty (120) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I volunteered at the history center twice, went to the recorder’s office in Martinez for deeds,  Fairfield for a civil court case, train club for our end of the month show, and to the Beaver Festival in Martinez where I worked at the Friends of Alhambra Creek booth.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: Randy Seaver highlighted my Broken Branch post in his Best of the Genea-Blogs post for the week of June 19-25, 2022.

Broken Branch – When the End of the Line Families are not Well-Documented I wrote about how as a baby genealogist, I found books about my families and entered them in my genealogy database without researching them in original sources. These all need further research.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Paternal Grandfather’s Matrilineal Line Randy Seaver had us list the maternal line of our paternal great-grandfathers. I could list three generations, which isn’t bad for a German line.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:

  • Jacqueline and I met on Monday and we talked about her writing class she was taking at GRIP.
  • NGSQ Study Group on Tuesday.
  • Mentee on Wednesday as well as Amigos where we answered citation questions.
  • Peer group on Friday, where Pam and I had a nice discussion about southern research.

Client Work/Presentations:
I went up to Solano County to retrieve the civil court case for my client.

I gave my Farming presentation to the San Mateo County Genealogical Society on Saturday and picked up a few more resources to add to the talk, as well as a book to download about farming practices.

Volunteer Work:
I volunteered twice at the History Center, both on Tuesday and Wednesday. I fell in the library room on Tuesday and scraped my knee so I left early. I returned Wednesday to retrieve deed records from the recorder’s office to send to the researcher in Maine.

Own Work:
This week, I worked on adding content to the farm talk and started working on my school records talk that I’m giving next month. I also finished processing the Iowa Gleeson family documents I had collected over the past month and entered the data into RootsMagic.

Webinars Viewed: I attended these presentations this week:

  • Finding Treasures in Academic Libraries by Jill Morelli
  • Research Logs: Write or Regret it! by Rebecca Whitman Koford, CG
  • Through the Eyes of a Genealogist: Paul Newman by Deborah Abbott
  • Negative Evidence: Making Something Out of Nothing by Denise Cross
  • Methods for Identifying German Origins of American Immigrants by Michael D Lacopo
  • Irish Emigration to North America: Before, During, and After the Famine by Paul Milner

Other: Non-genealogy activities this week included joining the Ukulele club on Friday for some singing, running trains at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society, and volunteering at the Beaver Festival. I watched some Giants games on T.V.

I am reading:

  • Water Street by Patricia Reilly Giff—FINISHED!
  • Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Gordon H. Chang
  • On the Farm Front: The Women’s Land Army in World War II by Stephanie A. Carpenter
  • A Practical Guide to Swedish Church Records by Geoffrey Fröberg Morris
  • Fertile Ground Narrow Choices: Women on Texas Cotton Farms, 1900-1940 by Rebecca Sharpless
  • Working the Land: Stories of Ranch & Farm Women in the Modern American West by Sandra K Schackel

Photos for this week: Here are some shots from the Beaver Festival and our Friends of Alhambra Creek booth. All kinds of environmental organizations were there with booths and there was nice live entertainment, too. 





Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments