Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 3-9, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

It has been nearly a month since my last Genea-pourri post. My husband and I went to England and Wales where we visited with a niece and her husband, toured Stonehenge, Blenheim Palace, Salisbury Cathedral, and Old Sarum before heading to Cornwall and Wales. In Wales we had dinner with online genealogy friend, Hilary Gadsby. It was a fun trip and took me nearly 5 days to recover from jetlag!

Hilary and me in Llandudno
Genealogy
On the trip, I did do some research in two facilities in Cornwall. The first in Truro was the Family History Centre. Volunteer, Vivian, helped me at the computer and I got familiar with some Cornish record sites. Now I will join the society so I have access again. I forgot to take a photo of the place though. The second place was the Cornish Studies Library in Redruth. While my husband toured the Poldark Mine, I read books about the area and made copies of some maps. We also visited the town where some of his ancestors lived: St. Agnes.

Cornish Studies Library
Volunteered at the Contra Costa County Historical Society on Tuesday, working on entering the Finding Aid into PastPerfect. It’s a challenge now that Maxine has left for a full-time job.

Also spent three hours at the Oakland Family Search Library. It was slow, so I scanned more slides, this time continuing with the England 1975 trip on one scanner and on the other, trips to Solvang, Santa Barbara, and Disneyland on another scanner.

Portfolio work. I started over with the case study by starting from a different approach. I hope this works out better. I realized I never processed the land records I got from Davison County, South Dakota last summer and spent time abstracting and entering the data into RootsMagic. I will need some of them for the case study. I have more to do from Todd County, Minnesota, to do, too.

Blog Writing: Blog post I wrote this week:
This week’s 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about various school records I have for some of my ancestors.

I also participated in Mondays With Myrt on September 3, showcasing my research in Cornwall and the meetup with Hilary. The program hasn’t been uploaded yet.

Other
Got together on Friday with daughter, Elizabeth, in Sebastopol, visiting a couple of apple stands and winery, and eating lunch at Handline and dinner at Ramen Gaijin.

Apple selecting & wine tasting
Had lunch with Norman’s brother, Brian and wife, Linda, at Batch and Brine in Lafayette. They were on their way to the San Francisco airport to fly to Frankfort. You can see the US Open tennis match being played behind their heads, which I was keeping an eye on.

At Batch and Brine in Lafayette
I returned to twice-weekly yoga this week and will make it a habit. During our trip, we were averaging over 10,000 steps per day. Somehow, once home, we get into our old habits of sticking around the house. I will try to get in a few walks per week. This past week, I walked to Starbucks once and to get a haircut another day. I also did a couple of bird walks, one at the marina, and one at Hidden Lakes Park.

Hidden Lakes Park
Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments