Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 10-16, 2018

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
The highlight of my genealogy week was the four-day retreat I had with three other genealogists at a vacation home in the north Tahoe area. We spent two full and two half days working on our genealogy. During meal breaks (that we took turns preparing) we had discussions about research logs, creating citations, and some other topics. I worked on creating PowerPoint presentations, handouts, and exercises for the five classes I’m teaching in October. I can proudly say that I’m 95% done on two of them and started on the third. Working in a quiet area for three plus days was a wonderful experience. We did speak to each other and asked or answered questions, but having no distractions was the best part of the experience.


Volunteered at the Contra Costa County Historical Society on Tuesday, continuing on entering the Finding Aid into PastPerfect. Our board meeting was Wednesday where we discussed some upcoming events in detail.

Portfolio work. I didn’t do much work on this during the week, instead focusing on what I would do during the retreat. I did take along material but did not get to it. Did meet with my cert peer group and we discussed Chapter 12: “Reasoning from Evidence” from the new Professional Genealogy book.

Blog Writing: Blog post I wrote this week:
  • This week’s 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about people who share my birthday and my sister who has a birthday close to mine.



Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments