Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 4: I’d Like To Meet Elizabeth M. Gleeson

This is my second year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

This week we’re to select an ancestor we would like to meet. Actually, I would love to meet all of them! 

Elizabeth M. Gleeson
Of the ten children of John Gleeson and Margaret Tierney, four never married. Three of the daughters had interesting lives and I wish I could have met them. My father’s sisters told me they met them and I have some sense of them, along with records I have found.

Elizabeth M. was the oldest, born 20 November 1865 in Carleton County, Ontario, Canada.[1] She was baptized at St. Philips Church in Richmond on 24 December.[2]

The family moved to Mitchell, Davison County, Dakota Territory about 1880.[3] Elizabeth was often referred to as “Lizzie.” Lizzie and her sister, Helena, had parts in the W.S. Gilbert’s play, “Engaged” in February 1892.[4] They were active with the Catholic Church in town.

Shortly afterwards, the family was living in Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, Montana. In 1900, Lizzie was living with her younger sisters, Helena and Margaret. All three worked for the school district.[5]

There is a story that “Aunt Glee” (that was how my aunts referred to her) had gone up to Alaska during the gold rush there. Oh, I wish I could have heard the stories of that adventure. In 1903, she was living at 225 3rd Avenue North in Dawson, in the Canadian territory of Yukon.[6] What is interesting, the gold rush was over by the time she was there and the population was under 5,000.[7] I wonder what she was doing?

Aunt Glee
Later she was a manager at an apartment house, in Portland,[8] and later lived in Los Angeles at 829 South Lake Street, where she paid just $11 for rent.[9] In Los Angeles, she was a registered Democrat.[10]

She died 14 Aug 1942 in Los Angeles of  heart failure.[11] A funeral Mass was held at Immaculate Conception Church.[12] She was buried at Calvary Cemetery.[13] There is no tombstone.[14]

I visited this cemetery in 2008 and found that half of the family buried there had no tombstones. How I wish I could add stones to their grave sites.

This story as I tell it seems so sterile. I know, if I could meet her, I’d have so much more to fill in the dash between her birth and death.





[1] St. Philips Church, Richmond, Carleton Co, Ontario, Dec. 1865, B55, Elizabeth Gleeson, digital image, "Ontario, Canada, Parish registers, 1836-1917," FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org : 28 Dec 2011).
[2] Ibid.
[3] 1880 U.S. census, Davison Co, Dakota Territory, pop. sched., Mitchell, ED 35, p 13, 474 (stamped), dwelling 109, family 112, John Gleeson, digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com).
[4] "About the City," The Anaconda Standard, 7 February 1892, p.3, col. 1, Helena Gleeson, Lizzie Gleeson; digital image, Chronicling America (http://chroniclingamerica.org/ : accessed 22 June 2012), Historical American Newspapers.
[5] 1900 U.S. census, Deer Lodge County, Montana, pop. sched., ED 16, Sht 5, line 46, Helen M. Gleeson, digital image, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com).
[6] Alaska-Yukon Gazetteer & Business Directory, (R.L. Polk & Co., 1903), p. 394, Elizabeth M. Gleeson.
[7] “Dawson City,” Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_City : accessed 26 Jan 2019).
[8] 1930 U.S. census, Multnomah Co, Oregon, pop. sched., Portland City, ED 26-49, sht 2b, dwelling 20, family 77, Elizabeth M. Gleeson, digital image, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com), NARA T626.
[9] 1940 U.S. census, Los Angeles Co, California, pop. sched., Los Angeles, ED 60-936, sht 10a, household 384, Elizabeth M. Gleeson, digital image, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com), NARA T627, roll 392.
[10] “California Voter Registration, 1900-1968,” digital images, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com), 1934, Prec 717, Miss Elizabeth M. Gleeson. Also 1936, Prec 978. Also 1938, Prec. 979-A. Also 1940, Prec 979-A.
[11] State of California, Department of Public Health, Certificate of Death, no. 11509, Elizabeth M. Gleeson, digital image, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org : accessed 24 Jan 2019), “Califonria, County Birth and Death Records, 1800-1994.”
[12] “Gleeson,” Los Angeles Times, 16 Aug 1942, p. A16.
[13] State of California, Certificate of Death, no. 11509, Elizabeth M. Gleeson.
[14] Visited the cemetery 1 Aug 2008 and found no tombstone in Section N, L76, grave 2.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Gosh, she led an interesting life! I would love to hear these stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that women who did not marry, tended to lead more interesting lives, at least lives that are documented.

      Delete
  2. Gold rush! This was one adventurous and courageous woman. Wish you could meet her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.