Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Best Find of 2018, and Research Challenge for 2019


Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has a challenge for us:
  
Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

1)  What was your best research achievement in 2018?  Tell us - show us a document, or tell us a story, or display a photograph.  Brag a bit!  You've earned it!

2)  We all have elusive ancestors.  What research problem do you want to work on in 2019?  Tell us where you want to research and what you hope to find.

3)  Put the answers in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook post.

I had several good finds:

My mother’s photograph in the newspaper with Louis Armstrong. I had no idea she was so active with the Pittsburg Junior Women’s Club.

Finding articles and images of my great-uncle, “Toofer” Johnston in newspapers. He played a lot of football in high school and college.

Getting the personnel file of my aunt, Lorene Hork, when she worked for the Navy during World War II and for the Army in Japan in the 1950s.

Figuring out my great-uncle, Jack Sullivan’s service number and unit for WWI. I now look forward to researching in St. Louis to check the daily reports for his company.

I have two goals this year:
  • Work on a book about my father’s family.
  • Find the parents of my mother’s ancestor, Samuel Johnston (1816-1869) who was born in South Carolina, lived in Alabama, Yalobusha Co. Mississippi, and died in Titus Co. Texas.
My class at SLIG this year might help with the second goal: Advanced Southern Research.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Nice finds for this year. Hooray for newspaper research!

    Who is teaching the Advanced Southern Research class at SLIG?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, love newspaper research. The course is by Mark Lowe, along with Deborah A. Abbott, PhD,
      Kelvin L. Meyers, Anne Gillespie Mitchell, and Ari Wilkins.

      Delete
  2. Finding Lorene Hork's personnel file was terrific, but tops would have to be your mom's photo in the newspaper with Louis Armstrong. I'd like to attend SLIG sometime. Maybe in 2020. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited about the photo of Mom and Louis Armstrong!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.