Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 14-20, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
This week I spent at the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG) in Salt Lake City. It’s held for five days at the Hilton Hotel. My course was Advance Southern Research, coordinated by J. Mark Lowe, along with Anne Gillespie Mitchell, Kelvin Myers, and Ari Wilkins. I am ready to start cluster research on my tricky families, and to listen for the stories when studying the records.

Also during the week, I saw friends from all over the U.S.  Many congratulated me on achieving certification. Others I met for the first time in person, even though I might be “friends” with them on Facebook. Then the rest were those I met for the first time. I’m great about the greeting and hugging but forget to take “selfies” with them. 

I did take photos with several groups: California Genealogical Society members at SLIG, the NGS Quarterly Study Group (we met for dinner on Monday), the ProGen 27 reunion (though I was in ProGen 21, but spend time with many of them weekly in our Peer Study group), and with the Certification Peer Study Group.




Blog Writing: I wrote the following blog posts this week:
Week 1: 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks This week, I wrote about an unusual name of Drady Hutson. I don’t know if she was Peter’s wife or other family member. More research is needed.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: We produced photos of direct ancestors and I managed to find enough for six generations.

I also wrote three blog posts about my time at SLIG for a blogger contest.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended
Because I was busy with my own course, I did not attend any webinar or study groups this week.

Research
I managed to make two trips to the Family History Library to do some research. I searched through pages the Shane Collection that concerned the Chillicothe Presbytery searching for members of the Bishop, Shotts, and Gorrell families but found none. Then I worked in records of Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky, searching for court records to correspond to some newspaper articles about Louis W. Wollenweber, one of my husband’s ancestors. I found some, and others I might have to write directly to the court for.

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments