Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of July 15-21, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Education
The major education event this past week was attending GRIP (Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh), where I attended the class, “Tools and Strategies for Tackling Tough Research Problems,” coordinated by Kimberly T. Powell, and along with additional instructors, Angela McGhie, Karen Stanbary, and Karen Mauer Jones. It was packed with lots of tools and ideas for researching and keeping track of our research results. I will now consider lists, timelines, charts, tables, and spreadsheets to manage all of the data I will accumulate with researching my ancestors’ FAN club. I might even give Scrivener another try. Check out the blog post linked below, where I describe my takeaways from the class.

I traveled to Pittsburgh with my friend, Jacqueline, and we shared a dorm room. I also saw two of my cert study group friends, Dennis and Pam. I finally met my ProGen 21 mentor, Barbara Matthews. Plus, as always, we meet lots of new genealogists.

Dorm Room

Dennis, Pam, and me

Kimberly & me

Angela and me

Barbara & me


Blog Writing:
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks I wrote about the strategies I learned in the GRIP course I took last week to help solve my Samuel Johnston’s origins challenge.
  • Saturday Night Genealogy Fun We finished the last of the questions in the series of questions posed by Ellen Thompson-Jennings and completed the sixteen through twenty.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
The only webinar I attended was the APG Writers SIG presentation given by Craig Scott, “Preparing to Write.”

Volunteer Work:
Because of my trip to Pittsburgh, I did not volunteer at my usual spots. I did stop by the History Center to visit with Maxine, but she was not there. Instead, I got to chat with Jim about our newspaper clippings collection and the yearbook collection.

Own Work:
During my class on the first day, we did some global searches on Google, using the techniques of applying place or subject along with the surname. Bonus result for me was finding the death notice in a Ft Worth newspaper for Samuel Johnston’s daughter, Isabella, who married Paris C. Broadstreet. Also while working on a project summary so I could pass on my Johnston problem to another person to check, I discovered Samuel’s daughter, Luvina’s tombstone, along with the name of her husband. I previously had no marriage information for her. This family is filling out nicely.

Other:
This past week was primarily genealogy-related. Got the California Poppy plants cut down to little stubs, working on putting the garden on self-maintenance while we’re on vacation, and doing laundry and packing for the next trip. Watched a movie on the United flight, “Green Book,” which I liked. I see so few movies these days.



Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments