Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of July 22-28, 2019

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Client Work
I did some deed work at the Contra Costa County recorders office this week, searching from the current owner back to the original one on two different lots. This was more difficult than I had thought and made a couple of errors in reading deeds whose descriptions look similar. I learned a lot and decided that title companies earn their living. In this county, there is no master index so I had to check each two-three year index, and then look at each deed to check to see if it was the one I wanted. I hope someday they put a comprehensive index online along with the images to the deeds.

Blog Writing:
  • 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks For the “easy” theme, I wrote about how small town newspapers help fill out the lives of women.
  • Saturday Night Genealogy Fun  We wrote about our ancestors’ long-distance travel. I also mentioned my own long-distance travel by bus and train.

Webinars/Study Groups Attended: 
I attended no webinars this week, but was able to check in with my Thursday cert study group. Friday, however, I didn’t have enough service to stay online during that study group.

Volunteer Work:
I worked on Tuesday at the History Center for a few hours and then returned on Wednesday to meet with the other members of the Space Committee.

Own Work:
I worked on entering data from newspaper clippings I collected and stored in my download folder. I’m working on these as I travel by train across the country.

Other:
Our 2021 NMRA Convention committee met this week to discuss the convention in Salt Lake City two weeks ago and what worked and didn’t work.


My husband and I left for a three-week vacation on Thursday, by starting our trip south on Amtrak to Los Angeles on Thursday to catch the Southwest Chief to Kansas City, where we will stay a few days with first cousins of Norman. On Saturday, we arrived and visited the World War I Museum, which is across the street from the train station. I also checked out the research room for information about the 4th Engineers, but all they had was the same book I already have.







Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments