Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Nov 30-Dec 6, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed thirty-eight (38) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I did phenology with Shirley at the meadow as usual. I went on only one walk to the mailbox. Otherwise, I stayed home. Starting Monday, our area is under lock-down—essential errands only.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
Blogs posted this past week:

Online Study Groups Attended: 
Study groups were back on again this week: I attended Monday Morning on Monday where 13 were present. I met with Jacqueline in the afternoon. On Wednesday, the four of us Amigos met and I attended the Certification Discussion Group where Angela McGhie spoke about education options. On Friday, four of us met with the Cert Peer Group where we spoke about our progress in their current projects. I also attended the GenProof study group with Tom Jones. We have one last one.

Webinars Attended:

  • “The Great War: Researching Your WWI Ancestors” by Michael Strauss
  • “Faith of Our Fathers: U.S. Church Records, Part II” by Peggy Lauritzen

Client Work/Presentations:
No client work or presentations.

Volunteer Work:
No volunteer work this week. The History Center is still closed due to Covid. 

 Own Work:
After a discussion with my friend, Kirsten, I have decided to continue my studies in World War I records. I created a spreadsheet of all of the men in my database with a World War I Draft Registration card. I then sorted them by which card (A, B, or C). Next, I’m going to check if any of the men have a Veteran’s Administration Master Index card showing they actually served. I’ll also check the military transport ship lists to see who went to Europe.

I also found the Military Muster Rolls on FamilySearch and began downloading the pages from the unit that John Edward Lundquist served. I will do the same for the unit that Jack C Sullivan served next. I have the morning reports for Jack’s unit but they don’t start until they got to France.

Lastly, I started working on creating the lessons for the winter quarter genealogy classes I’m teaching at the Adult School in February. I also need to create a land course for the California Genealogical Society.

Other:
The only class this week was German with Nancy on Monday.

I attended Gena’s Book Club where we highlighted some books we’re reading. I shared the four fiction books I have read this week:

  • The Vineyards of Champagne by Juliet Blackwell
  • The War that Saved Me and The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubarker Bradley
  • Merci SuĂ¡rez Changes Gears by Meg Medina

 



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments