Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Favorite Songs in Your High School Graduation Year

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

 

Here is our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1)  Do you remember your favorite songs in your high school graduation year?  Please tell us all about it.  [Note:  Wikipedia has the Billboard Hot 100 list for each year; Billboard has weekly Hot 100 lists for every year since 1946.]

I checked the Wikipedia page for the top songs of 1971 and 1972, since the senior school year covered the end of 1971 and the beginning of 1972. I do not remember some of the songs, but here are the lists:

1971:

Songs I remember are "Joy to the World," "Go Away Little Girl," "Take Me Home, Country Roads," and "Knock Three Times,"

1972:

Songs I remember from this chart are: "Alone Again, Naturally," "American Pie," "The Candy Man," and "Lean on Me." 

Here is the list for the top ten songs the week I graduated. Further down was "Rocket Man" (no. 20), which was a big favorite among my classmates and "Morning Has Broken" (no. 13), which is still a favorite of mine.


At home, my mother liked background noise, so there was always either a radio or television on in every room. She mostly listened to the country & western station. It amazed me how many of the songs I heard on KYA or KFRC (pop stations) that crossed over to her C&W station. She also watched talk shows such as Mike Douglas. I saw Sammy Davis, Jr. perform Candy Man on his show, and I saw Don McLean perform "American Pie" on the David Frost show. 

"Song Sung Blue" was the first 45 rpm record I bought on my own and I was a big fan of Neil Diamond, The Carpenters, John Denver, and Barry Manilow.

I also remember many of the songs that I heard on the car radio on my way to my first year of college. When I carpooled with Carol, we used to sing along with songs from the radio. It was lots of fun. She played the guitar and liked John Denver. We often performed at our German teacher, Professor Heine’s end-of-the-quarter parties, singing John Denver songs.

I looked at last weeks’ list, and I only recognized one group on the list: BTS. I just don’t listen to the radio anymore since my favorite station, KFOG, was bought and converted to sports. Perhaps, I’m like most older people, who enjoy listening to the music of their youth. Give me 60s and 70s music any day.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I remember more of the songs from your 1971 and 1972 top 10 lists than you do. And I remember all the John Denver songs, because that's why my sister listed to all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Maggie May and First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. Some of the others were okay, but overall I didn't care for many of the 70s songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about the Beatles songs. I like their early songs about love better.

      Delete
  3. I remember most of those songs even though I graduated 1976. I was a big Osmond fan so I remember their songs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.