Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Oct 24-30, 2022

I have completed one hundred thirty-eight (138) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I have been more careful around people and have stayed home more this week. I volunteered at the History Center & met with the 21st Century committee to dissolve our corporation.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: My post last week on how I got around the 1890 census was highlighted on Empty Branches on the Family Tree "Fridays Family History Finds" and on Genealogie a la carte "This week's creme de la crème — October 29, 2022."

Organized: How I Hope to Leave My Genealogy to My Heirs. I wrote about how I organize both my digital and analog worlds of genealogy.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Your Surname Line with Longest Stay in a Locality I wrote about two lines: Horks in Westphalia, Germany, and Nilssons in Jonkoping, Sweden.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
I was very busy with meetings this week. On Monday, I hosted the CCCGS Zoom meeting and met later with Jacqueline. Wednesday, I attended the Certification Discussion Group, and with Jacqueline again during our Amigos call.

Volunteer/Client Work
Wednesday, I met on Zoom with my Certification mentee. We always have great conversations. Thursday was super busy. My writing group met and we had a good discussion about everyone’s writing. They are making such good progress. Then I taught the second session of Foundations 2, where I covered transcriptions and abstracts, the reviewing of previous work, and writing research questions. During the week, I spent time commenting on their homework.

Own Work
I have been working on an article for Der Blumenbaum and worked a little on that this week. I have also worked on a Shutterfly book about our vacation back east. I have a coupon for free extra pages, which makes it more economical for a large book. I also plan to order our Christmas cards through them.

Webinars Viewed: I purchased five presentations from the Association of Professional Genealogists Profession Management Conference, which I missed due to our vacation. I watched two of them this past week.

  • Structuring a Family History by Carol Baxter (Legacy Family Tree Webinar)
  • Using DNA in a Kinship Determination Project by Angela Packer McGhie (APG Writers SIG)
  • Enhance Your Virtual Presentation with Interaction by Angela Packer McGhie (APG PMC)
  • Writing Meaningful Reports for Clients by Shelley Bishop (APG PMC)
I am reading:

  • Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny—FINISHED!

Other:
It was sad to dissolve our 21st Century corporation today. Our organization had hosted three National Model Railroad Association conventions in 2000, 2011, and 2021. We are too old to host another and decided today on how to distribute the remaining assets. Three deserving organizations will receive a nice windfall.

Photos for this week: I took no photos this week. Here are some flowers I shot on my vacation.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love your photos this week, especially the interesting rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I admire your productivity - all in one week!. I, too, am interested in adding some genealogy activities, besides adding to my tree on Ancestry, but I am not sure where to start. One thing that I enjoy is transcription. Just not sure how to "contribute" this in the big world of genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are county pages on the USGENWEB site and you could submit transcriptions of deeds, probates, news articles, and other items for a particular county. I used to use that site before Ancestry came along.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.