Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Oct 3-9, 2022

I have completed one hundred thirty-five (135) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. We were on vacation this past week, traveling from New Hampshire to Chicago on our way to Los Angeles. However hard we tried to avoid crowds, I still tested positive for Covid on Tuesday. I am not sure where. It could have been in shops in Portland or the restaurant in Plymouth, New Hampshire the group had lunch at.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Preservation: Writing the Story Preserves it for the Future. I gave reasons for writing about our family history to preserve it.

It’s Been Nine Years. I wrote about the anniversary of my grandmother’s (Mam-ma) death.

Webinars Viewed: None.

Vacation:
On Monday, the Special Interest Tour took us to North Conway, NH, where we had two train rides. The first one was short to Conway and back. The second one was much longer. We had a box lunch and traveled through the Crawford Notch where the fall color on both sides was spectacular. I took lots of photos. My throat felt scratchy but by the end of the day, it was sore.

I felt worse on Tuesday morning and did a quick test, testing positive. Once I reported it to the tour leader, she told us we had to leave the tour. We were in Laconia at a nice inn and spa and they had no more rooms. We tried to rent a car, thinking we would drive to Chicago where we could get on our train to Los Angeles, but no cars were available. We couldn’t find a Lyft driver but finally found a cab service that drove us back to Portland, Maine. We rented a room for two nights at a Hampton Inn, staying in the room and getting take-out. I felt miserable until the fever broke. After four days, the runny nose and headache lifted.

Finally, we reached the point where we had train reservations. We left Portland on the Downeaster to Boston, where we caught the Lakeshore Limited to Chicago. We stayed in our room, masked up, with meals delivered to us. After an overnight in Chicago, we boarded the Southwest Chief. Again, we stayed in our rooms with the meals delivered to us.

After four days, I felt better but kept isolated from others. I am sorry we missed the last three days of the tour and sad we couldn’t say goodbye to the other members. We had a good time meeting others on the tour and our leader and bus driver were both delights.

I am reading: Being sick, I read a lot.

  • The Island of Dangerous Dreams by Joan Lowery Nixon—FINISHED!
  • Death and Judgment by Donna Leon—FINISHED!
  • A Song for Lost Angels by Kevin Fisher-Paulson—FINISHED!

Photos for this week:

Fall Color in New Hampshire

Fall Color in New York

Sunset Over the Mississippi

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear that your fabulous trip ended with covid. Hope you are feeling much better. On the positive side, the Lakes Region is a great place to have to spend extra time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.