Skip to main content

Light a Candle – Nana Saying a Prayer

In many older Catholic churches, stands of small votive candles can be seen on the side of the church or in alcoves. The ones I remember were red and when lit, glow dimly. I have not seen these candles in other kinds of churches. This seems to be a Catholic tradition. One article explained that Catholics light a candle for a loved one, either deceased or perhaps ill. They wish for some divine intervention to solve a problem, so light a candle, and make their intention known through prayer.[1]  

I remember the candles in St. Peter Martyr’s Church in Pittsburg, California. Nana took me many times to Mass and after I had my First Communion, to confession on Saturdays. She would give me a coin, maybe it was a nickel or a dime, so I could light a candle and say a prayer. What I do not remember is whom I said the prayer for.

Nana said prayers for many people. I guess because she was so much older, she knew many people who had died, like her mother, who died when she was twenty, and her father when she was forty. But she might have said prayers for others as well—perhaps for family members who needed spiritual or financial help. I remember Nana being very religious, praying the rosary and saying novenas.

Whenever I see these candles in church, I think of her. I do not need to light a candle to say a prayer of intention or thanks. Prayers of intention or thanks can be said anywhere.


#52Ancestors-Week 13: Light a Candle

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] Sally Painter, “Why Do Catholics Light Candles? Practices and Symbolism,” Love to Know (https://candles.lovetoknow.com/about-candles/why-do-catholics-light-candles-practices-symbolism : accessed 27 March 2023).


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments