Skip to main content

Begins With a Vowel: Four Female Ancestors’ Stories

I do not have many direct-line ancestors whose names begin with a vowel. In checking my database with a total of 7504 people, I found the following four women whose names begin with a vowel:

Paternal side:
Margaret Eagan, wife of Denis Tierney and mother of John Tierney. She would be my 2x-great-grandmother. I know absolutely nothing about her. John was born in 1804 and his father, Denis, married Judith Quinn in 1820. I have no notes in my database about her. But I did find a handwritten note from 22 Dec 1996 (early days in my genealogy research). From The City Beyond: A History of Nepean by Bruce S. Elliott, Denis Tierney’s first wife was Margaret Eagan and his second wife Judith Quinn.[1] Since Denis did not come to Canada from Ireland until the 1820s, Margaret was born and died likely in Tipperary County.

Anna Marianna Ewald, wife of Christoph Siewert, mother of Vincent Sievert. From research conducted by Dr. Lukasz Bielecki, that was commissioned by my cousin, Thomas Manley, she was born in 1785 in Borkenhagen, Posen, and died 17 November 1845 in SchneidemĂĽhl, Posen, outliving her husband by four years. She married Christoph Siewert on 14 January 1811 in SchneidemĂĽhl. She bore seven known children, four of which emigrated to America in the 1850s. Nothing is known of the three other children.[2]

Maternal side:
Sarah Ellis, born 14 June 1782 was the first wife of Robert Lancaster. They married 3 July 1804 in Virginia.[3] She was the mother of six known children, including my 4x-great-grandfather, Ellis Lancaster. She died 30 July 1830, likely in Shelby County, Kentucky where Robert had been living since before 1820.[4]

Amanda Deborah Oldham, wife of Greenlee Selman and mother of my 3x-great-grandmother, Sarah Helen Selman. Amanda was born 9 May 1822 in Alabama. She married first James Selman on 25 November 1841 in Carroll County, Mississippi.[5] They had two children before James died on 10 November 1850.[6] She married second Greenlee Bean Selman on 23 June 1851 in Cherokee County, Texas.[7] James and Greenlee were first cousins. She and Greenlee had three children. She died 19 April 1880 in Texas and is buried in Round Timber Cemetery in Baylor County, Texas.[8] I had no names for parents, but I can see possible parents are Elias Earl Oldham Sr and Mary Ann Greenlee, who both died in 1840 in Carroll Co, Mississippi and are buried in Vaiden Cemetery.[9]

Future Research
If I wanted to do future research on these women, the first one would be Amanda Oldham since I have possible names of her parents, who died and are buried in the same county where she married James Selman. The first steps would be locating documents of the Oldham and Selman families in Carroll County, Mississippi.

I could also try to research Sarah Ellis. Online trees name her Sarah Ellis Maddox, so perhaps she was previously married, or her mother’s name was Ellis. The Ellis name was carried to her first son as his first name.

The other two women, Margaret Eagan of Ireland and Anna Ewald of Posen might prove more difficult with some scarcity of records.

#52Ancestors-Week 14: Begins with a Vowel

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] Bruce S. Elliott, The City Beyond: A History of Nepean, Birthplace of Canada’s Capital, 1792-1990 (Nepean: City of Nepean, 1991), p. 31.

[2] I have no hard copies of the research and Tom cannot find his notes. All I received from Tom were names and dates. I would have loved to know the name of the church where they were married and the children baptized.

[3] No record of their marriage was found in Prince Edward County, Virginia, where their children were born, even though I found records for his siblings. The FamilySearch Family Tree gives Cumberland County as their marriage place (ID K8KG-CW9). There are no sources.

[4] I have no source for this date, only from the FSFT.

[5] Carroll County, Mississippi, Marriage Bond 1834-1853, vol A, p. 316, James Selman & Amanda Oldham, 1841, digital image, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9VP-12LN?i=186 : accessed 1 April 2023), film # 007615974, image 187 of 538.

[6] Find A Grave, database with images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/149873439/james-selman : accessed 1 April 2023), memorial# 149873439, Selman-Roark Cemetery, Linwood, Cherokee Co, Texas, James “Jimmy” Selman. No tombstone.

[7] "Texas Marriages, 1837-1973," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VK1P-HP1 : 5 December 2014), Cherokee County, Green Lee B. Selman and Deborah Amanda Selman, 23 Sep 1851; citing FHL microfilm 988,075.

[8] Find A Grave, database with images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/37942895/amanda-deborah-selman : accessed 1 April 2023), Memorial# 37942895, Round Timber Cemetery, Baylor Co TX, Amanda D Selman, died 19 April 1880.

[9] Find a Grave, database with images, (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/5094285/elias-earl-oldham : accessed 1 Apr 2023), memorial# 5094285, Vaiden Cemetery, Vaiden, Carroll Co, Mississippi, Elias Earl Oldham Sr. See also memorial # 5520877, Mary Ann “Polly” Greenlee Oldham.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Our female ancestors are often so difficult to research. Wishing you luck with a breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.