Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What Genealogy Record Collections to Digitize or Index?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


Our assignment today from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, is to:

1)  What genealogy record collections would you like to see digitized or indexed?  List one or more.

2)  Put it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a link in a comment to this post.

Here’s mine:
To be indexed: Randy’s suggestion of land, probate, and civil court records available at FamilySearch to be indexed is a good one. I would have listed the same. I would add:

Church records, such as this one from Oberhundem, in Westfalen. That one magnifying glass is for a church in Paderburg, another church on the same microfilm, which has been indexed.

For records to be digitized, I would like to see all land, probate and civil court, tax, and voting records after 1900 up to at least 1950.

I would also like to see more records in western states to be filmed/digitized. Western states have many fewer collections than can be found in eastern, mid-western, and southern states. Some counties in California are better than others. I have found deed records in San Francisco and Los Angeles counties but not in the county where I live, Contra Costa. I’m teaching a probate class currently and I have students who want more probate records from the states of Washington and Colorado. Hope fully the FamilySearch cameras can visit these county record offices soon.

And after being digitized, see above. Let’s get them indexed!

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Good suggestions! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Colorado, though, as they have some of the strictest privacy laws. They don't seem to want to make many records public or easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is that problem of privacy laws, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.