Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Summertime Fun As a Child

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1) Let's talk about what we did as children (not teenagers or young adults) on our summer vacations from school. 

2)  Write about your life as a child in the summertime (say, any age between 5 and 12).  Where did you live, what did you do, how did it influence the rest of your life?

Here's mine:

My first eight years of childhood was spent in Pittsburg, California. We lived in a two-story rental unit on East 9th Street. As a young child, our yard felt large. We had lots of concrete, which was great for riding trikes, bikes, and peddle cars. The sidewalk was flat, but the driveway sloped down into the backyard.

The peddle cars we had were chained-driven. I have never seen examples anywhere of these types of cars. My car was painted blue and I think it was supposed to be a Cadillac. My brother’s car was painted black and white like a police car. The one thing I remember most about the cars, the chain would come off often, so perhaps the peddle cars with the rod mechanism was better. I wish I had a photo of our cars.

It was also fun to ride our trikes and bikes. With our bikes and trikes, we used clothespins to place either playing cards or baseball cards on our spokes. It sure made a racket not appreciated by the neighbors.

Roller skating was also fun to do on the flat sidewalk. We had those old medal skates we put on our shoes. The real issue always was finding the skate key so you could adjust the skates to fit your shoes.

We had great fun around our yard with our “wheels.”

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your street reminds me a bit of mine in Passaic - sidewalks and trees. Bikes certainly filled a lot of our time, didn't they? I had roller skates, too, but never really like skating much. I think it was because of all the bumpy sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.