Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jul 24–30, 2023

I have completed one hundred seventy-seven (177) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I left the house only twice this week, once to the bank and to operate at the train club.

Genealogy

 This week, I attended virtually, the course “For Land's Sake--Advanced Analysis and Platting” at IGHR. The class met from 7:30-3:30 Pacific time and pretty much took up most of my time during the weekdays. This was a great class, with some lectures, but mostly time in breakout rooms to work on multiple practical problems, where we studied deeds, platted the calls, and tried to answer the research questions. I especially liked learning how to import USGS maps into DeedMapper software. I have ancestors who lived in states with metes and bounds: North and South Carolina, and Kentucky. I have started platting some deeds of my Loveless family in Newberry County, South Carolina.

Genealogy Meetings
Because of the institute class, there were fewer meetings this week. Jacqueline and I met late Monday afternoon after my class. We discovered newspapers from Modesto that covered news of Turlock and she started finding lots of articles about her family. I met with Linda during Amigos’ time and we did some catching up.

Genealogy Writing
I finished the handout for my upcoming presentation “How to Leave Your Genealogy” that I will do for the Maine Genealogical Society in September.

I completed the transcription of the court case for Warren E. Gilbert that I received from the Kansas City branch of the National Archives. It does not have any documents about how the case turned out. He received the land he was accused of perjury over, so I will order the land case file to see what that might have about this.

I did some research and writing on a presentation about researching railroad employee records. I have an article to write about railroad travel and did some research on that.

Blog Posts:

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
There was no volunteer work as I was in the institute class all week.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Why We Should Look at In-Laws When Doing Genealogical Research by J Mark Lowe (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Problem Solving in the Problem-Riddled Carolina Back Country by Elizabeth Shown Mills (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
It was a quiet week for other activities. I got in one walk with my husband and took a few photos of flowers since I did not do the walk with the walking group this week.

I am reading:

  • The Templars’ Last Secret by Martin Walker—FINISHED!

Photos for this week



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Love these gorgeous flower photos. Also love Martin Walker's mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an early user of DeedMapper. Excellent program. It helped me sort out the English and German Millers in late 1700s Botetourt County, VA and I was able to identify my Martin Miller's potential father - turns out I was right! Beautiful flower photos this week. Summer is in full bloom, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I haven't been able to solve anything yet. My guys tend to reside on a very long river where I cannot place them correctly. I learned I need to plat their neighbors' plots until we get a firm landmark. If only I didn't have other deadlines.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.