Skip to main content

SNGF -- Top 10 Genealogy-Related Books That Helped You

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!





Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)  What are the Top 10 genealogy-related books that helped you the most?

Here's mine:
Wow, this one will be hard to do.  In my Library Thing book list, I have ninety-six books tagged as “Genealogy.” The ten that helped me the best? Here is my list in reverse alphabetical order (it was how I looked through my Library Thing list):

The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy, edited by A. Eakle. This was one of the first books I read and did so cover to cover. I think I had been researching my family for about a year when I was given this book. Many parts were over my head but it gave me a sense of the resources I should be seeking in my research and instructions on how to use them.

Your Swedish Roots: A Step by Step Handbook by Per Clemensson. When I first started researching my husband’s Swedish ancestors, I used an online site called Genline which had images of church books taken from microfilm. The images were not super clear but I was able to subscribe on sale for short periods of time. This book gives step-by-step instructions with illustrations on how to use the household examination records as well as the moving in/moving out and vital records.

The Redbook: American State, County & Town Sources by Alice Eichholz. Before the internet was as prolific as it is now, this book gave me information on where to write for information. Each state chapter has a map showing the current counties and I highlighted the counties that my people lived in. I have not used the book in years because the same information can be found on county websites as well as county wiki pages at FamilySearch.

Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers, and Librarians edited by Elizabeth Shown Mills. When I realized I wanted to be as professional as possible in my research even for my own family, I bought this book to learn from the best. Later, when I attended ProGen, this was our textbook. Current ProGen classes use the more up-to-date book, Professional Genealogy: Preparation, Practice & Standards, also edited by Mills.

North Carolina Research: Genealogy and Local History by Helen F. Leary. Like the Source, this book covers all records a genealogist would use but with a North Carolina slant, though anyone would benefit from reading this book.

Mastering Genealogical Proof by Thomas W. Jones. This workbook-style book is an excellent book about how to compile evidence into genealogical proof. My book is falling apart from so much use.

Mastering Genealogical Documentation by Thomas W. Jones. This is also a workbook. Overall, he helps demystify creating genealogy source citations by breaking them down into distinct parts. I might not agree with all of his data placements, but the workbook with answers is helpful in checking one’s work.

The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy and Genetic Genealogy in Practice both by Blaine Bettinger and the second with Debbie Parker Wayne. The first book gives great basic information about using DNA and the second book is a workbook-style book of practical exercises.

Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace by Elizabeth Shown Mills. This is a handbook of source templates, but the best part is the text about the sources and how they are organized. I never just look at a template but read her analysis of the record set.

There are more books that have been useful at one time or another, but consider having these books on your bookshelf.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I either still have, or used to have, all the books on your list. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you included the Red Book also. I used to run to it all the time. I was really surprised it wasn't on Randy's list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps he hasn't used it in years either. I had friends who used the other book which I cannot remember the name of.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.