Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Jun 26–July 2, 2023

I have completed one hundred seventy-three (173) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. We returned home on Tuesday after 28 days on the road (railroad).

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Ernie Was a Cabinet Building and Pattern Maker For 52 Ancestors and the theme of “slow” I wrote about my husband’s granduncle who was both a carpenter and patternmaker. This post was highlighted by Amy Johnson Crow in her email to announce this week's theme.

SNGF: Top 10 Genealogy-Related Books That Helped You I made a nice list of books from my library that I have used over the past thirty years. Some books I have not looked at in years, but am glad I had them in the past when I needed them.

Genealogy
Aboard the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles, I worked on my KDP about the Gleeson family. I am up to twenty pages and am not in the third generation yet. I have lots of red notes for research to do or something to look up. It was easy to work because there was no cell service or internet access.

Once home, I was able to meet up with my genealogy Amigos and I attended the RootsMagic SIG. I presented the vital records lesson for the CGS Intro to Genealogy series on Saturday. I stopped by the History Center on Wednesday to say goodbye to Mike, our director who is retiring, and again on Saturday to do some work. We’ll be closed on Tuesday next week because of the holiday.

I watched a couple of webinars:

  • A Fresh Light on Old Newspapers by Dave Obee (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Dear Me: Writing Research Reports to Yourself by Yvette Hoitink (APG Writers SIG)

Other:
I hiked with the walking group at the Redwood Regional Park in Oakland. It was good to get out in nature. It was nice also to visit the Meadow on Thursday for phenology and see how it has changed. The leaves on one of our trees have tried up. It’s an evergreen tree, so I don’t know if it will come back. It was in the path of the ever-flowing water in the meadow all spring and likely stressed it.

I am reading:

  • Agent Colton’s Secret Investigation by Dana Nussio—FINISHED!
  • Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear—FINISHED!
  • The Paper Girl of Paris by Jordyn Taylor

Vacation
We returned home on Tuesday. Our train from Chicago broke down in Albuquerque and they had to add a freight diesel to the front of the train, which couldn’t go as fast as a passenger engine. The train ended up being about five hours late. Since we would have missed our train in Los Angeles, they took us off at Barstow and bussed us up to Bakersville to catch our San Joaquin train. Bonus, we saw some parts of Arizona we don’t normally see in the daylight, and the bus ride from Barstow across the desert and Tehachapi Mountains was interesting.

Photos for this week. 
Some photos from my hike:




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments